1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding plane normal vector

1. Apr 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let us have lines
    (x+3)/2 = (y+2)/3 = (z-6)/-4
    and
    (x-5)/1 = (y+1)/-4 = (z+4)/1

Find a normal vector to the plane these two lines are on.

3. The attempt at a solution

I already know you can solve it by
    s1 x s2 || n ; where s1 = (2, 3, -4) and s2 = (1, -4, 1)
    but Im not interested in that atm.
    I thought of another solution that I thought would be correct, but as it turns out, it doesnt seem to be.

What I did was use the dot product.
    Let n = (A+3; B+2; C-6), because we know (-3, -2, 6) to be on the plane the lines are on.
    Let us also find s3=s1+s2=(3, -1, -3), because we have 3 variables in the system, so we need 3 equations and s3 is also on the same plane as s1 and s2.

As we know, for a vector on the plane and a normal vector
    n.s=0 (dot product)

So
    n.s1=0
    n.s2=0
    n.s3=0

Yet when solving the system I end up with
    11B-6C=-34
    11B-6C=14
    Which means I get no solutions out of it.
    Where did I astray from logic?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2013 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure why you got no solutions, possibly an arithmetic error. You should get infinite solutions. You are correct that you have 3 unknowns but only two equations. But using the sum of the two vectors will not give you a linearly independent equation. Any solution to the first two will give you a solution to the third.

Remember that saying a vector is orthogonal to the plane does not define that vector uniquely. It only defines its direction. Given n is normal so is 5n and -3n. So you can either impose a third condition in the form of choosing the magnitude (which should give you a unique solution up to sign) or pick one of the components (judiciously since you may find one is necessarily zero) say the x component to be 1. I typically begin solving and choose, if I can, a value to avoid fractions in the vector components. Then I can if I like normalize the result.

[edit: P.S. It's great that you are exploring alternative methods and -so to speak- playing with the problem. That is how you really learn to understand the subject. Keep it up!]

4. Apr 21, 2013 #3
    Ofcourse! And plus I had made an arithmetic error too, so I should have really thought this through. Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted