Finding the Point of Zero Electric Field in an Equilateral Triangle of Charges

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the y coordinate for point P on the y-axis where the electric field is equal to zero in an equilateral triangle with charges at each corner. The attempt at a solution involved finding the formula for the electric field and setting it equal to zero, but it became complicated due to symmetry. The conversation also suggests using a numerical solver and scaling factors to simplify the equation. The equation is eventually simplified, but there is still confusion about the choice of addition or subtraction.
SquidgyGuff

Homework Statement

I'm given an equilateral triangle of side length b with charges q at each corner and I have to find the y coordinate for point P on the y-axis where the electric field is equal to zero (E=0 other than the center of the triangle)
1VmMG4D.png

2. The attempt at a solution
I figured I'd start by finding the formula for the electric field and started here:
%7D%7Br_%7B2p%7D%5E%7B2%7D%7D+%5Cfrac%7B%5Chat%20r_%7B3P%7D%7D%7Br_%7B3p%7D%5E%7B2%7D%7D%29.gif

Then I tried to put the distances in terms of b and y:
g_white%20%5Cfn_phv%20r_%7B1P%7D%5E%7B2%7D%3D%20%5Cfrac%7Bb%5E%7B2%7D%7D%7B4%7D+y%5E%7B2%7D.gif

g_white%20%5Cfn_phv%20r_%7B2P%7D%5E%7B2%7D%3D%20%5Cfrac%7Bb%5E%7B2%7D%7D%7B4%7D+y%5E%7B2%7D.gif

gif.gif

Because of symmetry I figured that I could just take the y compponent of r1P and r2P by multipling it by sin of theta:
gif.gif

From there I tried to set the formula equal to zero, but it got immensly complicated.
D+%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7By%5E%7B2%7D-by%5Csqrt3%20+%20%5Cfrac%7B3%7D%7B4%7Db%5E%7B2%7D%7D%29.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
P is inside the triangle. The field from the top charge is in the -y direction. It has to be for the three fields to add to zero.

Likes Student100
Dr. Courtney said:
P is inside the triangle. The field from the top charge is in the -y direction. It has to be for the three fields to add to zero.
I didn't even think about that, if they are all q then P has to be the center. But the problem explicitly states that the point can't be the geometric center. Would there be any points in 3 dimensions that could satisfy this or when y =
gif.gif
?

I think you'll find that there are two locations on the y-axis within the triangle where the field goes to zero. Can you imagine why this might be?

A suggestion: Since q and b are not specified they can be treated as scaling factors along with k. So without loss of generality take your equilateral triangle to have a side length of 2, making the base vertices (-1,0) and (+1,0), and the top vertex (0, ##\sqrt{3}##). Your equation of interest should then look simpler. I'd suggest tackling this with a numerical solver for y between 0 and ##\sqrt{3}##. Multiply the results by "b/2" to regain the original scale.

Last edited:
gneill said:
I think you'll find that there are two locations on the y-axis within the triangle where the field goes to zero. Can you imagine why this might be?
Would the second point be very close to point 3 on the triangle because it would be very close to the test charge and thereby able to counter the force contributions in the y direction of both 1 and 2?

gneill said:
A suggestion: Since q and b are not specified they can be treated as scaling factors along with k. So without loss of generality take your equilateral triangle to have a side length of 2, making the base vertices (-1,0) and (+1,0), and the top vertex (0, ##\sqrt{3}##). Your equation of interest should then look simpler. I'd suggest tackling this with a numerical solver for y between 0 and ##\sqrt{3}##. Multiply the results by "b/2" to regain the original scale.
Am I on the right track with that last equation I wrote or do I need to rethink my approach?

SquidgyGuff said:
Would the second point be very close to point 3 on the triangle because it would be very close to the test charge and thereby able to counter the force contributions in the y direction of both 1 and 2?
Very close to any point charge the field strength increases without bound, so it's unlikely to be the case. Instead look nearby the triangle center.
Am I on the right track with that last equation I wrote or do I need to rethink my approach?
It's the right track, but you're on the scenic route :smile:
If you follow my suggestion you should have a sleeker equation that can be attacked numerically.

gneill said:
Very close to any point charge the field strength increases without bound, so it's unlikely to be the case. Instead look nearby the triangle center.
It's the right track, but you're on the scenic route :smile:
If you follow my suggestion you should have a sleeker equation that can be attacked numerically.
The only thing I could think of is how ovals have a center and a focus, but I don't think triangles have a focus. Sorry, I'm kind of slow.
I think this is the condensed version, but when I plug in the triangle's center point
if.latex?%5Cdpi%7B80%7D%20%5Cbg_white%20%5Cfn_jvn%20%280%2C%5Cfrac%7B%5Csqrt%7B3%7D%7D%7B3%7D%29.gif
, I get 1.5 intead of 0. (Though if it were subtraction rather than addition between the 2 terms it does equal zero)
29%5E%7B%5Cfrac%7B3%7D%7B2%7D%7D%7D+%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7B%28y-%5Csqrt%7B3%7D%29%5E%7B2%7D%7D%29.gif

SquidgyGuff said:
The only thing I could think of is how ovals have a center and a focus, but I don't think triangles have a focus. Sorry, I'm kind of slow.
I think this is the condensed version, but when I plug in the triangle's center point
if.latex?%5Cdpi%7B80%7D%20%5Cbg_white%20%5Cfn_jvn%20%280%2C%5Cfrac%7B%5Csqrt%7B3%7D%7D%7B3%7D%29.gif
, I get 1.5 intead of 0. (Though if it were subtraction rather than addition between the 2 terms it does equal zero)
29%5E%7B%5Cfrac%7B3%7D%7B2%7D%7D%7D+%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7B%28y-%5Csqrt%7B3%7D%29%5E%7B2%7D%7D%29.gif
The b/2 term applies to the value of y that makes the expression zero, not to the value of the field; it's a scaling factor pertaining to the size of the triangle.

What was your reasoning for choosing addition versus subtraction in the equation?

gneill said:
The b/2 term applies to the value of y that makes the expression zero, not to the value of the field; it's a scaling factor pertaining to the size of the triangle.

What was your reasoning for choosing addition versus subtraction in the equation?
Oh I see now, in the middle of the triangle the y component of the field from 3 is in the opposite direction from 1 and 2, so it should be a minus sign. Although I'm not really sure how to simplify it from here. I tried expanding everything out, but nothing cancels. Is this were I would use something like Mathematica?

SquidgyGuff said:
Oh I see now, in the middle of the triangle the y component of the field from 3 is in the opposite direction from 1 and 2, so it should be a minus sign. Although I'm not really sure how to simplify it from here. I tried expanding everything out, but nothing cancels. Is this were I would use something like Mathematica?
Right.

As I suggested, you might want to turn to a numerical solver for the roots. Wolfram or Mathematica should be up to the task, but you'll have to select roots that are real and lie within the range of applicability of your equation.

gneill said:
Right.

As I suggested, you might want to turn to a numerical solver for the roots. Wolfram or Mathematica should be up to the task, but you'll have to select roots that are real and lie within the range of applicability of your equation.
I plugged "Solve[(2 x/((1 + x^2)^(3/2))) - ((x - sqrt[3])^(-2)) == 0, x]" into Mathematica, but I am new to the software and don't understand the result:

{{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 1]},
{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 2]},
{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 3]},
{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 4]},
{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 5]},
{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 6]}}

Do you know what these mean?

SquidgyGuff said:
I plugged "Solve[(2 x/((1 + x^2)^(3/2))) - ((x - sqrt[3])^(-2)) == 0, x]" into Mathematica, but I am new to the software and don't understand the result:

{{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 1]},
{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 2]},
{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 3]},
{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 4]},
{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 5]},
{x -> Root[-1 + 3 #1^6 - 16 #1^5 sqrt[3] - 16 #1^3 sqrt[3]^3 + #1^4 (-3 + 24 sqrt[3]^2) + #1^2 (-3 + 4 sqrt[3]^4) &, 6]}}

Do you know what these mean?
No, sorry. I'm not familiar with the details of Mathmatica either. Perhaps there's another method other than "Solve" that will give real numerical results? FindRoot perhaps?

gneill said:
No, sorry. I'm not familiar with the details of Mathmatica either. Perhaps there's another method other than "Solve" that will give real numerical results? FindRoot perhaps?
I'll just toy around with it and see where I get, thanks for your help!

1. What is the significance of finding the point where E=0?

Finding the point where E=0 is crucial in understanding the behavior of electric fields. This point, also known as the electric field zero or the null point, represents the location where the electric field strength becomes zero. It can help us understand the direction and magnitude of the electric field in a given region.

2. How is the point where E=0 calculated?

The point where E=0 is calculated by solving the equation for electric field E= kQ/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge at a distance r from the source. By setting E to zero and solving for r, we can determine the distance from the source where the electric field becomes zero.

3. What factors can affect the location of the point where E=0?

The location of the point where E=0 can be influenced by several factors, such as the magnitude and direction of the electric field source, the presence of other charges or conductors in the vicinity, and the geometry of the electric field. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the point where E=0.

4. Can the point where E=0 exist in a real-world scenario?

Yes, the point where E=0 can exist in a real-world scenario. It is commonly observed in the electric fields surrounding charged particles, conductors, and insulators. For example, in a spherical conductor, the point where E=0 exists on the surface of the conductor, where the electric field lines are perpendicular to the surface.

5. How is the point where E=0 used in practical applications?

The point where E=0 has several practical applications, such as in designing electrical circuits, determining the electric field strength around antennas, and analyzing the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It is also useful in understanding the concept of equipotential surfaces, where the electric potential is constant at the point where E=0.