1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding points of inflection

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the graph f''(x) of a function is given by:
    (see attachment)

(a) Find all points of inflection of f(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I figured, by looking at the graph and seeing the intercept points [(-2,0),(0,0),(2,0)] that f''(x) = [tex]x^{4}-4x^{2}[/tex]
    solving for f''(x)=0 gives us x = -2 or 0 or 2.
    Between -2 < x < 2 there is no change of sign, which indicates no point of inflection.
    Thus the points of inflection for f(x) are at x = -2 and x = 2.
    But how can I find the y intercepts with just what I have? I only know how to find them by putting x back into f(x). As we don't have f(x) here, I'm stuck. Integrating back doesn't help because of the unknown variables.
    Or am I trying too hard, and what I've done is the answer?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well, remember that an inflection point of f(x) is where the first derivative is at either a maximum or minimum. And find first the maxima and minima of the first derivative, we must solve the zeros of the third derivative =D
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, that looks good.

?? If f(x)= x4 - 4x2 then f '(x)= 4x3- 8x and f "(x)= 12x2- 8. That is not 0 at x= 0, 2, and -2!

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    third derivative is [tex]4x^{3}-8x[/tex]
    solving for f'''(x) = 0 gives us
    x = +/-[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] and x = 0.

minima points of f''(x) are at x = (-[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], -4) & ([tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], -4)
    maxima point of f''(x) is (0, 0).

I still confused here! How does this help me find the y co-ordinates for inflection points of f(x)?
  6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    the graph x4 - 4x2 is the second derivative, not f(x).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?