1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding points on the graph

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    I have absolutely no idea how to solve this problem and I would really appreciate same help.

For the function, find the point(s) on the graph a which the tangent line has slope 5

y=1/3x^3-2x^2+8x+14

Any help with this would br greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know what a derivative is and what it might have to do with a slope? You really have to make a better start than that.

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use brackets. I really cannot figure out whether you mean [tex] y = \frac{1}{3} x^3 - 2 x^2 + 8x + 14[/tex] or [tex] \frac{1}{3x^3} - 2x^2 + 8x + 14[/tex] or [tex] y =\frac{1}{3x^3 - 2x^2 + 8x + 14} . [/tex] Strictly according to standard rules, what you wrote is the first of these three possibilities. If you don't want to use Latex you can just write (1/3)x^3 - 2x^2 + ... or 1/(3x^3) - 2x^2 + ... or 1/(3x^3 - 2x^2 + ...)

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook