1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding polar form of 1/Z

1. May 20, 2008 #1
    Hi There.

I was given this question and the answer:

Find the polar forms of [tex]1/z[/tex] where z = [tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex] + i

and [tex]1/z[/tex] where z = 4[tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex] -4i

Answers respectively are:

[tex]1/2[/tex] cis([tex]-\pi/6[/tex])

[tex]1/8[/tex] cis([tex]\pi/6[/tex])

Can someone please explain to me why it is that the sign of the argument changes in the answer from + to -, for the first question, and - to +, for the second question?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because the argument of a+bi and the argument of a-bi are negatives of each other? Why? Of course they don't have to be. You could equally well have written the first one as (1/2)*cis(11*pi/6). Why?

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  4. May 20, 2008 #3
    I understand that that is how the question is written and the sign indicates the point position in the plane. Sorry I worded the question wrong.

Basically, z = [tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex] + i

Polar form of this is: 2( cis [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 )

then working out 1/z the answer is 1/2 (cis -[tex]\pi[/tex]/6)

I do not know why the sign changes to make [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 negative and whether you take 1 as r, and z as t, and use the formula for division which is r/t ( cos ([tex]\pi[/tex] - [tex]\phi[/tex]) + isin ([tex]\pi[/tex] - [tex]\phi[/tex]) but when I tried that I still could not come up with a logical explanation it seemed.

5. May 20, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3} + i} = \frac{\sqrt{3} -i}{3+1} = \frac{1}{4} (\sqrt{3} - i) = \frac{1}{4} \left [2 \left \angle -\frac{\pi}{6} \right][/tex]

You could generalise the same thing for any [itex]\mbox{a,b} \in \Re[/itex] for any complex expression a+bi.

EDIT: To expand on this note that by De Moivre's formula:

[tex](cos \theta + isin \theta)^n = cos(n \theta) + isin(n \theta)[/tex]

Let [tex]z = r (cos \theta + isin\theta)[/tex].
    [tex]z^n = r^n (cos(n \theta) + i sin(n \theta))[/tex]

Let n=-1, as in your case where we want to find the reciprocal.

[tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{r} (cos(-\theta) + isin(-\theta)) = \frac{1}{r} (cos(\theta) - isin(\theta))[/tex]

Thereby the sign changes from '+' to '-'.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  6. May 20, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1/cis(theta)=cis(-theta). Try and show that as an exercise. Hint: show cis(theta)*cis(-theta)=1 because sin(theta)^2+cos(theta)^2=1.

7. Apr 13, 2011 #6
    I have a problem with a question about polar form, could you help me please?

z=3(cos100degree+isin100degree)

give the polar form of 1/z.

8. Apr 13, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Posting your own thread is better than tagging onto another one, but ok. What's cis(100*degree)*cis(-100*degree)? I'm assuming you know cis(a)=cos(a)+i*sin(a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?