Finding Polar Form Expressions: -3-3i & 2√3-2i

In summary, a polar form expression is a way to represent complex numbers using their magnitude and argument. To find the polar form expression for a complex number, you can use the formulas r = √(a² + b²) and θ = tan⁻¹(b/a). This can be useful in mathematical calculations and provides a visual representation of the complex number. The polar form expression for -3-3i is √(18)(cos(5π/4) + i sin(5π/4)) and for 2√3-2i is 4(cos(11π/6) + i sin(11π/6)).
ver_mathstats
Member warned that the homework template is not optional
Express -3-3i in polar form.

I know that r=3√2.

And I understand that now we take tan^-1(b/a) which I did. tan^-1(-3/-3) = π/4. So I put my answer as z = 3√2 [cos(π/4) + isin(π/4)].

However the answer manual told me this was incorrect I am unsure of where I went wrong?

3√2[cos(-3π/4)+isin(-3π/4)] this was the answer in the manual.

Then the same thing happened again for express 2√3-2i in polar form.

I know that r=4.

And I understand that now we take tan^-1(b/a) which I did. tan^-1(-2/(2√3)) = -π/6. So I put my answer as z = 4 [cos(5π/6) + isin(5π/6)].

But the answer was 4[cos(-π/6)+isin(-π/6)]. Here I thought if we get a negative we must add π to it.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notice you need to take into consideration the quadrants where your x,y coordinate are in order to find the angles. When you do ##tan^{-1}## the signs cancel out so that you "lose information".

ver_mathstats said:
Express -3-3i in polar form.

I know that r=3√2.

And I understand that now we take tan^-1(b/a) which I did. tan^-1(-3/-3) = π/4. So I put my answer as z = 3√2 [cos(π/4) + isin(π/4)].

However the answer manual told me this was incorrect I am unsure of where I went wrong?

3√2[cos(-3π/4)+isin(-3π/4)] this was the answer in the manual.

Then the same thing happened again for express 2√3-2i in polar form.

I know that r=4.

And I understand that now we take tan^-1(b/a) which I did. tan^-1(-2/(2√3)) = -π/6. So I put my answer as z = 4 [cos(5π/6) + isin(5π/6)].

But the answer was 4[cos(-π/6)+isin(-π/6)]. Here I thought if we get a negative we must add π to it.

Thank you.

In problem (a) your ##\theta = \pi/4## is incorrect, because it is in the wrong quadrant. Your ##z = -3 - 3i## has negative real and imaginary parts, so must be in the third quadrant. So, either you allow yourself to use negative angles, in which case you need ##-\pi/2 > \theta > -\pi## (that is ##\theta## lies between ##-180^o## and ##-90^o##) or else you restrict yourself to positive angle, in which case ##\pi < \theta < 3\pi/2## (that is, ##\theta## lies between ##180^o## and ##270^o##). You need the solution of the equation ##\tan \theta = 1## that lies in the third quadrant.

My two cents:

For any given point in the complex plane ##x + iy##, then ##\tan(\theta) = y/x##.

So notice that the same value of tangent is obtained from ##(-y)/(-x)##. That point ##-x-iy## is 180 degrees away from ##x + iy##. Given any particular value for the tangent, there are two points 180 degrees apart that have that same tangent.

The standard arctan function is defined to return a value between ##-\pi/2## and ##\pi/2##. Those angles correspond to a positive ##x##. So the easiest thing to do is check the sign of ##x##. If it's negative, then you need the other angle with that same tangent, which you obtain by adding or subtracting ##\pi## radians.

Applying that rule to your problem, you see ##x = -3##, so the correct angle is ##\pi/4 + \pi = 5\pi/4## or equivalently ##\pi/4 - \pi = -3\pi/4##.

Again, to summarize what's going on here: there are two angles 180 degrees apart that have the same tangent, and the standard arctan function returns only one of them. You have to check if you want the other one.

What is the polar form expression for -3-3i?

The polar form expression for -3-3i is 4.24∠-135°.

What is the polar form expression for 2√3-2i?

The polar form expression for 2√3-2i is 4∠-30°.

How do you find the polar form expression for a complex number?

To find the polar form expression for a complex number, you can use the formula r∠θ, where r is the absolute value or modulus of the complex number and θ is the angle formed by the complex number with the positive real axis.

What is the absolute value of -3-3i?

The absolute value of -3-3i is 4.24.

What is the angle formed by 2√3-2i with the positive real axis?

The angle formed by 2√3-2i with the positive real axis is -30°.