Finding Potential due to hemispherical charge distribution.

In summary, to find the electric potential at the base and top of a hemisphere with uniform charge density, we can use the formula V = (2/3) * k * σ * a, where k is Coulomb's constant, σ is the charge density, and a is the radius of the hemisphere, and plug in the corresponding values for the radius to get the respective potentials.
cat_facts

Homework Statement

Given that the hemisphere has a uniform charge density σ distributed through its inner surface with radius a. Find the electric potential at the base of the hemisphere and the top of the hemisphere (that point where the radius is the largest).

Homework Equations

V = ∫ (kσ / [r-r'])*da (Surface Integral)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried seperating this hemisphere into rings integrating from of the bottom of the hemisphere to the top, but that isn't working. I was trying to then solve it for all z along z(hat), then plugging in 0 and the height of the hemisphere, but wasn't sure how to proceed.

I tried V = ∫ (kσ / [r-r'])*da = kσ∫ (1/ [r-r'])*da = kσ∫ (1/ [h^2 + a^2])*2pi*radius*dh = 2*pi*kσ∫ (a/ [h^2 + a^2])dh

but know I'm not proceeding correctly. What should I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

To find the electric potential at the base and top of the hemisphere, we can use the formula for electric potential due to a charged hemisphere, which is V = (2/3) * k * σ * a, where k is the Coulomb's constant, σ is the charge density, and a is the radius of the hemisphere.

At the base of the hemisphere, the radius is equal to a, so the potential becomes V = (2/3) * k * σ * a.

At the top of the hemisphere, the radius is equal to 2a, so the potential becomes V = (2/3) * k * σ * 2a = (4/3) * k * σ * a.

So, the electric potential at the base of the hemisphere is (2/3) * k * σ * a and at the top of the hemisphere is (4/3) * k * σ * a.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a hemispherical charge distribution?

A hemispherical charge distribution refers to a distribution of electric charge over the surface of a hemisphere. This means that the charge is evenly spread out over the curved surface of the hemisphere.

2. How is the potential due to a hemispherical charge distribution calculated?

The potential due to a hemispherical charge distribution can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/R, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge on the hemisphere, and R is the distance from the center of the hemisphere to the point where the potential is being calculated.

3. What is the relationship between distance and potential in a hemispherical charge distribution?

The potential in a hemispherical charge distribution is inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the hemisphere. This means that the potential decreases as the distance increases.

4. Can you have a negative potential due to a hemispherical charge distribution?

No, the potential due to a hemispherical charge distribution is always positive because the charge is distributed over the surface of the hemisphere, which results in a positive potential at any point outside of the distribution.

5. How does the potential due to a hemispherical charge distribution change with the addition of more charge?

The potential due to a hemispherical charge distribution increases with the addition of more charge. This is because the total charge on the hemisphere, Q, is directly proportional to the potential, meaning that as Q increases, so does the potential.