1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Probability(Stat mech)

1. Jul 5, 2013 #1
    I am pre studying for Statistical Mechanics class in the fall and need help with this problem. I’ve already spent some time with it.

Let the displacement x of an oscillator as a function of time t be given by X=Acos(wt+ϕ). Assume that the phase angle ϕ is equally likely to assume any value in the range 0 < ϕ < 2pi. The probability w(ϕ)d ϕ that ϕ lies in the range between ϕ and ϕ +d ϕ is then simply w(ϕ) dϕ=(2pi)^-1d ϕ. For any fixed time t, find the probability P(x)dx that x lies between x and x+dx by summing w(ϕ) over all angles ϕ for which x lies in this range. Express P(x) in termas of A and x.

Relevant equations[/b]
    X=Acos(wt+ϕ).
    w(ϕ)d ϕ=(2pi)^-1d ϕ

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only thing I can come up with is integrating
    ∫P(x)dx = ∫(2pi)^-1d ϕ and inegrating over x and x+dx
    Or ƩP((x)dx* w(ϕ) dϕ)/p(x)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello catsonmars. Welcome to PF!

You have a good start with ##w(\phi) = \frac{1}{2\pi}##.

Since you are looking for the probability that ##x## lies in an infinitesimal range from ##x## to ##x+dx##, you will not need to integrate. The probability is just ##\small P(x)dx##. This is given by the probability ##w(\phi)|d\phi|## that ##\phi## lies in the range ##\phi## to ##\phi + d\phi##, where ##\phi## is the value of the phase angle that corresponds to ##x## and ##\phi + d\phi## corresponds to ##x+dx##. [Caution: think about whether or not there is more than one value of ##\phi## that corresponds to the same ##x##. If so, you will need to make an adjustment for that.]

So, the probability that ##x## lies between ##x## and ##x+dx## could be expressed as ##\small P(x)dx## or as ##w(\phi)|d\phi|## (if there is only one value of ##\phi## that corresponds to a value of ##x##). That is, ##\small P(x)dx = ## ##w(\phi)|d\phi|## [I leave it to you to think about what to do if there is more than one value of ##\phi## corresponding to the same value of ##x##. Perhaps this has something to do with the word "summing" in the statement of the problem.]

Since you already know how to express ##w(\phi)##, all you need to do is find an expression for ##d\phi## in terms of ##x## and ##dx##. Hint: ##d\phi = \frac{d\phi}{dx}dx##.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  4. Jul 12, 2013 #3
    There should be more x values than ϕ's because the range of ϕ is much smaller than x. Second I'm still not sure how I should right the summation. I have ϕ=(Ʃw(ϕ)dϕ)/(P(x)(dx)) but that still seems wrong. I've also thought about relating ϕ+dϕ to x+dx somehow but I'm can't think of what would make them equal so I can get ϕ in terms of x. Also I've looked at the answer key and I have no idea how the amplitue "A" would fit into the equation.

5. Jul 12, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Basically, you need to solve ##\small P(x)|dx| = w(\phi)|d\phi|## for ##\small P(x)##. That is,

##P(x) = w(\phi)\frac{d\phi}{dx}##

Use ##x = Acos(\omega t + \phi)## to find ##\frac{d\phi}{dx}## as a function of ##A## and ##x##.

There's the additional task of dealing with the fact that there might be two different values of ##\phi## corresponding to the same value of ##x##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted