1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding projectile speed

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    I got an air gun and i need to find how fast (m/s) it fires a projectile. If i knew speed (s) the distance when it hits the ground (d) and the weight of projectile (10g) and the angle is horizontal zero degrees (0*) i know earth has a (9.8m/s) gravity pull so what els do i need to know and could you write me a formula to follow? Ty ; )

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    you could do something simple like have a friend stand next to you and fire at a metal can like 100 meters away or 70 or what ever you can hit further the better , and count down to when you pull the trigger and then stop the watch when you hear the ping.
    using s=d/t , and you might want to factor in the time lag for the ping at the speed of sound 343 m/s

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    um easy? this thing shoots projectiles that blow holes in concrete slabs im sure "some friend" is going to stand there. meat shield much?

5. Feb 4, 2010 #4
    and plus if i shoot only 100m im also going to find the impact force because im prety sure it shoots much farther

6. Feb 4, 2010 #5
  7. Feb 4, 2010 #6
    ok I thought of another way . take a piece of foam board and place it 50 meters or so away , and aim at the top of the board then you can see where the bullet went through and you can measure this distance from the top and using d=1/2gt^2 you can calculate how much time it took the bullet to drop and then do s=d/t because you know the distance is 50 meters or how ever far you want to shoot it from , this may take some accurate shooting and a couple of trials but it should work.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. Feb 5, 2010 #7
    thought of that but its not that accurate it shoots 2 in airsoft granade shells or AA bateries

9. Feb 5, 2010 #8
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook