What factors determine the speed of a projectile fired from an air gun?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the speed of an air gun projectile using various methods such as measuring the time it takes to hit a target, using formulas like s=d/t and d=1/2gt^2, and using a friend as a "meat shield." Other suggestions include using foam board as a target and researching online for formulas to calculate muzzle velocity. The conversation also mentions the potential inaccuracy of some methods and the power of the air gun in question.
lolomolo
I got an air gun and i need to find how fast (m/s) it fires a projectile. If i knew speed (s) the distance when it hits the ground (d) and the weight of projectile (10g) and the angle is horizontal zero degrees (0*) i know Earth has a (9.8m/s) gravity pull so what els do i need to know and could you write me a formula to follow? Ty ; )

Physics news on Phys.org
you could do something simple like have a friend stand next to you and fire at a metal can like 100 meters away or 70 or what ever you can hit further the better , and count down to when you pull the trigger and then stop the watch when you hear the ping.
using s=d/t , and you might want to factor in the time lag for the ping at the speed of sound 343 m/s

um easy? this thing shoots projectiles that blow holes in concrete slabs I am sure "some friend" is going to stand there. meat shield much?

and plus if i shoot only 100m I am also going to find the impact force because I am prety sure it shoots much farther

ok I thought of another way . take a piece of foam board and place it 50 meters or so away , and aim at the top of the board then you can see where the bullet went through and you can measure this distance from the top and using d=1/2gt^2 you can calculate how much time it took the bullet to drop and then do s=d/t because you know the distance is 50 meters or how ever far you want to shoot it from , this may take some accurate shooting and a couple of trials but it should work.

Last edited:
cragar said:
ok I thought of another way . take a piece of foam board and place it 50 meters or so away , and aim at the top of the board then you can see where the bullet went through and you can measure this distance from the top and using d=1/2gt^2 you can calculate how much time it took the bullet to drop and then do s=d/t because you know the distance is 50 meters or how ever far you want to shoot it from , this may take some accurate shooting and a couple of trials but it should work.

thought of that but its not that accurate it shoots 2 in airsoft granade shells or AA bateries

1. What is projectile speed?

Projectile speed, also known as initial velocity, is the speed at which an object is launched or thrown into motion.

2. How is projectile speed calculated?

Projectile speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took for the object to travel that distance. This can be represented by the formula: v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

3. What is the difference between projectile speed and average speed?

Projectile speed is the initial velocity of an object, while average speed is the overall speed of an object over a certain distance or period of time. Average speed takes into account any changes in velocity, while projectile speed only represents the initial velocity.

4. What factors affect projectile speed?

The factors that affect projectile speed include the initial force or energy used to launch the object, air resistance, and gravity. Other factors such as air temperature and elevation can also have an impact on projectile speed.

5. How can projectile speed be measured?

There are several methods for measuring projectile speed, including using a radar gun, high-speed cameras, or measuring the distance and time manually. The most accurate method will depend on the specific experiment or situation.