1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Quantum Probabilities

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is a series of problems all relating to each other. I have gotten most of this done but I will add my answers and continue until the last part which is my main question: We choose a magnetic field in the z direction. Use your knowledge of 2-dimensional representations of 1. Sx, Sy, and Sz to express the Hamiltonian as a matrix:
    My answer to this:
    H_z = -γBcosθ1/2[itex]\hbar[/itex] (1 0, 0 -1)
    H_x = -γBsinθ1/2[itex]\hbar[/itex] (0 1, 1 0 )
    H_y= 0

Part 2: Find the eigenvalues and eigenspinors of the Hamiltonian matrix:
    My answer to this:
    Eigenvalues of H_z= [itex]\lambda[/itex]=[itex]\pm[/itex]γBcosθ1/2[itex]\hbar[/itex]
    Eigenvalues of H_x= [itex]\lambda[/itex]=[itex]\pm[/itex]γBsinθ1/2[itex]\hbar[/itex]
    Eigenvalues of H_y= 0

Part 3: Normalize the eigenspinors

My answer: Everything that I am doing is saying that these are already normalized? Is that not correct?

Part 4: Get back to experimental measurements. Suppose we collect the atoms that are in the state after going through the region of magnetic field described above. With what probability would a subsequent measurement of the spin in each of the following directions yield ? (The measurements are not consecutive.)
    a. z-axis
    b. x-axis
    c. y-axis

MY answer: Here is where I am stuck.

2. Relevant equations

I know I have my eigenspinors for my 1/2 spin particles, I have the eigenvalues also. I know the probabilities having read multitude of experiment data on what is going on, and I know Im supposed to measure starting from ONE state, to get the result to the WANTED state.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know this is not in line with the forum guidelines but I really do mean it when I say I am dead stuck. I only know that I have to start with one state to get the other, or perhaps I am confused in this sense?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Please tell us the original problem statement as originally given to you. I have no idea what you mean by H_x, H_y, and H_z.

4. Mar 14, 2014 #3

strangerep

Science Advisor

Whew! I'm glad you said that. I had no idea either. :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted