1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding <r> of hydrogen atom

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hydrogen is in n=2, l=1, and m=0.
    Wave function is ψ(r,θ,∅)=(1/4(√2pi)ab3/2)(r/ab)(e-r/2ab)(cos(θ)

Find <r> for this state.

2. Relevant equations

P(r) = 4pir2|R(r)|2

<r> is equal to the integral from 0 to ∞ of P(r)dr

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that you need to go from the wave function to R(r) and then P(r) to put that in the <r> equation. Im just not sure how you do the first step.
    I put the equations in the picture below to better visualize it. Thanks in advance!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The equation for ##P(r)## already takes into account the fact that you have integrated the spherical harmonic over ##\theta, \phi##, and this is where the factor ##4 \pi## comes from. So you would have to remove the angular part from the initial wave function.

That said, I believe that you will learn more if you don't take that ready-made equation, but calculate it from first principles:
    $$
    \langle r \rangle = \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \psi^* r \psi r^2 dr \sin \theta d\theta d\phi
    $$

Note that you have a factor ##r## missing in your description of the integration step, it should be
    $$
    \langle r \rangle = \int_{0}^{\infty} P(r) r^3 dr
    $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted