1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Radial Electric Field

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    Particles having mass = m and charge = Q travel parallel to the z axis, forming a beam of radius = R and uniform charge density = p. To keep the beam focused, an external uniform electric field [tex]_{}Bo[/tex], parallel to the z axis is provided, and the beam is made to rotate with a constant, uniform angular velocity = w

A: Use Gauss' Law to find the radial electric field in the beam on a cylinder of radius = r<R

I figured out this one and got E = pr/2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Sorry about the coding, i'm very new to this. Well that is supposed to be epsilon, and it should not be a power.

I could not figure out B or C though.

B: Find the azimuthal (tangential) velocity of a particle in the beam at r<R

C: Find the total (electric and magnetic) force required on a particle at r<R

D: Set force in "C" equal to the centripetal force required to keep a particle on a circular path of radius = r<R

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2
    edit. double post

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?