Finding Radial Force from Free Body Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework exercise where the task is to find the radial force in a free body diagram. The weight Fz is countered by the vertical components of the friction force and normal force. The radial force (Fr) is supposed to be equal to the horizontal component of the normal force, and the friction coefficient (mu) should be included in the final expression for Fr. However, the professor also mentions that there should not be any squared trigonometric functions in the final expression. The goal is to find an expression for the friction force from the vertical forces balance equation without squared trigonometric functions. The final solution involves a cone.
Slipjoints
Homework Statement
Finf the radial force caused by the horizontal component of the normal force
Relevant Equations
Balance equation
I have a question regarding a homework exercise. My professor asked me to find the radial force in the free body diagram in the image included. There is a weight Fz from above and it is assumed that it is countered by the vertical component of both the Ff (friction force) and the Fn (normal force). The radial force (Fr) is supposed to be equal to the horizontal component of Fn. The other thing I know for sure is that the friction coefficient (Greek letter mu) should be in the final expression for Fr. However he also says there should not be any squared trigonometric functions in the final expression and I can't seem to make that work. So basically I have to find an expression for fr from the vertical forces balance equation that includes the coefficient of friction and without squared trigonometric functions, anyone that can help?

Attachments

• IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 98
Physics news on Phys.org
Should it be force of friction rather than radial force?

Welcome!

Yeah that's what I thought too initially, but he specifically said I should use the balance equation of vertical forces and substitute the horizontal component of the normal force into it in order to get the radial force expression.

Lnewqban said:

Welcome!
By accident replied to the thread instead of to your comment, but my reply to you is reply #3

Lnewqban said:

Welcome!
Just found out the right answer, thanks for the help anyway. I added an image in case youre curious. last line is because it is actually a cone.

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 90

1. How do I find the radial force from a free body diagram?

To find the radial force from a free body diagram, you need to first identify the object or system of objects that the force is acting on. Then, draw a free body diagram representing all the forces acting on the object. Next, isolate the radial force component and use trigonometry to calculate its magnitude and direction. Finally, make sure to include the correct units in your answer.

2. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object or system of objects. It helps to simplify complex situations and allows for a clearer understanding of the forces involved. In a free body diagram, all external forces acting on the object are represented as arrows with their magnitude and direction.

3. How can I determine the direction of the radial force from a free body diagram?

The direction of the radial force can be determined by looking at the orientation of the object or system of objects in relation to the center of rotation. The radial force always points towards or away from the center of rotation, depending on whether it is a centripetal or centrifugal force. You can also use trigonometry to calculate the angle of the radial force in relation to a reference axis.

4. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of rotation. It is always present when an object is moving in a circular motion. On the other hand, centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that appears to push an object away from the center of rotation. It is a result of the object's inertia and is only present in a rotating frame of reference.

5. Can I use a free body diagram to find the radial force in any situation?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used to find the radial force in any situation where an object or system of objects is moving in a circular path. It is a useful tool for analyzing forces in circular motion and can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics.