1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding radius from volume that gives the minimum surface area for cylindrical cans

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    i need MAJOR HELP!!

this is the problem:

The can do tin can company minimizes costs by construckting cans from the least possible amount of material. this company suppplies many different sizes of cans to packing firms. a designer with the company needs to determine the radius that gives the minimum surface area for cylindrical cans with volumes between 100 cm (cubed) and 155 cm (cubed).

basically i need to know how to find the smallest surface area for the following volumes: 100 300 500 700 900 1100 1300 and 1500 cm(cubed)

can someone pleaseEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE help me

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Finding radius from volume that gives the minimum surface area for cylindrical ca

That seems like a mainly APPLIED type Calculus problem. You first need to derive or look in reference material for the surface area for a circular cylinder. Arrange the equation to be surface area as a function of radius. Find the derivative of this surface area function. You are then interested in minimum surface area; find the radius for each case. (someone check my thinking about all that since a long time has passed since I studied Calculus).

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Finding radius from volume that gives the minimum surface area for cylindrical ca

You have two equations: volume of a cylnder of radius r and height h is [itex]\pi r^2h[/itex] whch must be equal to one of the values you give, and surface area is [itex]2\pi r^2+ 2\pi rh[/itex] which is what you want to minimize. You can use the first, volume, equation to solve for, say, h, as a function of r and replace that in the second formula.
    It might be a good idea to use "V" for the volume rather than one of the numbers you give so you can just plug in a number after you have solved for r and h.

Do you know how to find the max or min of a function by differentiating?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?