Finding the Rate of Elevation on a Bicyclist's Path

In summary, a student new to calculus is struggling with a homework problem involving a bicyclist riding on a path represented by the function f(x) = 0.04(8x - x^2). They have attempted to use an equation given by their teacher but received a different answer than the one provided by CalcChat. They are seeking help and guidance on how to find the rate of elevation when x = 2.
RunnerDP

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I am new to calculus. I was recently assigned some homework and am having a difficult time with it. Please help me out. Thank you!

A bicyclist is riding on a path modeled by the function f(x) = 0.04(8x - x^2), where x and f(x) are measured in miles. Find the rate of elevation when x = 2.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My only attempt was utilizing an equation my teacher gave me. However, the answer I got and the one on CalcChat are substantially different.

Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
RunnerDP said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I am new to calculus. I was recently assigned some homework and am having a difficult time with it. Please help me out. Thank you!

A bicyclist is riding on a path modeled by the function f(x) = 0.04(8x - x^2), where x and f(x) are measured in miles. Find the rate of elevation when x = 2.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My only attempt was utilizing an equation my teacher gave me. However, the answer I got and the one on CalcChat are substantially different.

Thank you so much.

Is x the horizontal distance and f(x) the altitude?

You need to show us your work. We cannot possibly comment until we see what you have done already. Maybe you are right and CalcChat is wrong, or maybe the opposite is true---who knows, since you do not include either answer?

In particular, what was this equation your teacher gave you? Do you know how to find the derivative of f(x)?

1. What is the definition of "rate of change" in science?

"Rate of change" refers to the measure of how much a quantity or variable changes over a specific period of time. It is often used to describe the speed or direction of a change in a scientific experiment.

2. How do you calculate the rate of change in a scientific experiment?

The most common way to calculate rate of change is by using the formula: (final value - initial value) / (final time - initial time). This will give you the average rate of change over the given time period.

3. Why is it important to find the rate of change in an experiment?

Finding the rate of change allows scientists to analyze and understand the patterns and trends in their data. It can also help to predict future outcomes and make comparisons between different experiments or variables.

4. Can the rate of change be negative?

Yes, the rate of change can be negative if the final value is lower than the initial value. This indicates a decrease in the quantity or variable over time.

5. How can the rate of change be represented graphically?

The rate of change can be represented on a graph by plotting the data points and connecting them with a line. The slope of the line represents the rate of change, with a steeper slope indicating a faster rate of change and a flatter slope indicating a slower rate of change.