Should MA be included in calculating moment about A?

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not to include the moment at point A when calculating the moment about that point. The conclusion is that in order to find the moment about point A, the moment at point A must be included in the calculation. This is demonstrated through an example with a simple cantilever beam.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

Lets say i have a structure like this , at A and B are fixed support ( it resists moment about , force in x and y direction) I want to find the moment about the A , should I include the MA as well in my calculation or no ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

moment about A = MB +MA + W(L/2) -RBy(L) = 0 ?
or moment about A = MB + W(L/2) -RBy(L) = 0 ?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose this beam was a simple cantilever fixed at A but free at the other end. Same applied loading. Would you include the moment at A when summing moments about A in your moment equilibrium equation?

PhanthomJay said:
Suppose this beam was a simple cantilever fixed at A but free at the other end. Same applied loading. Would you include the moment at A when summing moments about A in your moment equilibrium equation?
So, we don't have to consider MA when calculate the moment abour A?

How did you come up with that conclusion?

Based on your tone

goldfish9776 said:
Based on your tone
Oh, bad tone. Try the simple cantilever case, say a beam A-B of length L fixed at A and with a load P applied at the free end B. Now sum moments about A = 0. Does MA show up in that equation or not?

PhanthomJay said:
Oh, bad tone. Try the simple cantilever case, say a beam A-B of length L fixed at A and with a load P applied at the free end B. Now sum moments about A = 0. Does MA show up in that equation or not?

no, how is it relate to the question i asked?

In your problem, I cannot tell you whether or not to include MA in your equation when summing moments about A , because that is against forum rules . BTW, the problem is statically indeterminate. But anyway, as a hint, if you consider a simple cantilever of length L fixed at end A with the unknown moment M_A at that end and with a load P applied at the free end, then summing moments about A for equilibrium yields M_A - PL = 0. Thus M_A = PL as you would expect. The moment of any couple about any point is the couple itself. So back to your original problem about whether to include M_A in your equation...what say you now?

PhanthomJay said:
In your problem, I cannot tell you whether or not to include MA in your equation when summing moments about A , because that is against forum rules . BTW, the problem is statically indeterminate. But anyway, as a hint, if you consider a simple cantilever of length L fixed at end A with the unknown moment M_A at that end and with a load P applied at the free end, then summing moments about A for equilibrium yields M_A - PL = 0. Thus M_A = PL as you would expect. The moment of any couple about any point is the couple itself. So back to your original problem about whether to include M_A in your equation...what say you now?
yes , i should include MA when i want to calculate the moment about A

yes, correct.

1. What is a reaction force and how is it calculated?

A reaction force is a force exerted by a support or constraint on an object. It is calculated using Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction force. This means that the reaction force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force being applied on the object.

2. How do you determine the moment of a force?

The moment of a force, also known as torque, is determined by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. It is measured in units of newton-meters (N*m).

3. What factors affect the magnitude of a reaction force?

The magnitude of a reaction force is affected by the force being applied, the angle of application, and the distance from the point of application to the support or constraint. Other factors such as friction and external forces can also affect the magnitude of the reaction force.

4. How do you calculate the reactions and moments in a complex system?

In a complex system, the reactions and moments can be calculated by breaking down the system into smaller, simpler parts and analyzing the forces and moments acting on each part. These individual solutions can then be combined to determine the overall reactions and moments in the system.

5. Why is it important to find the reactions and moments in a structure or system?

Knowing the reactions and moments in a structure or system is crucial in understanding how it will behave and ensuring its stability and safety. It also allows for the design and optimization of structures to meet certain requirements and perform specific functions.