Finding Real Numbers: Questions (c) & (e) Solutions

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with two questions related to high school calculus. The person has not been able to find any relevant information on forums and is asking for links or guidance on how to solve the equations. However, the post has received backlash for not typing out the problem and only posting an image.
Apple&Orange
Member warned that posted questions must include an attempt

Homework Statement

Please see questions (c) and (e) on the attachement

2.Relevant Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So long story short, these two questions were given out as a challenge in one of our Swedish lessons to see if we could remember our high school calculus, which I shamefully have to admit I cannot.

I've done a search through the forums but unable to find any relevant information that could help me solve these equations.
If anybody is willing, could someone post links, or steer me in the right direction that could help me solve these?

Attachments

• 201610130837.pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 207
Physics news on Phys.org
Apple&Orange said:

Homework Statement

2.Relevant Equations

So long story short, these two questions were given out as a challenge in one of our Swedish lessons to see if we could remember our high school calculus, which I shamefully have to admit I cannot.

I've done a search through the forums but unable to find any relevant information that could help me solve these equations.
If anybody is willing, could someone post links, or steer me in the right direction that could help me solve these?
Do you remember the binomial formula for ##(a+b)^2## and long division by hand?

Apple&Orange said:

Homework Statement

2.Relevant Equations

I (and most other helpers) refuse to help you because you post a sideways image instead of typing out the problem. I can see an (almost-unreadable) image on my laptop computer, but cannot see anything at all on my i-phone.

1. What are real numbers and how are they different from other types of numbers?

Real numbers are numbers that can be represented on a number line and can take any numerical value. They include both positive and negative numbers, as well as decimal numbers and fractions. Real numbers are different from other types of numbers, such as imaginary or complex numbers, because they can be expressed as a single point on a number line.

2. How can I determine if a number is a real number?

To determine if a number is a real number, you can check if it can be represented on a number line. If it falls between two whole numbers and can be expressed as a decimal or fraction, then it is a real number.

3. What is the difference between a rational and an irrational number?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, such as fractions. Irrational numbers, on the other hand, cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and have an infinite number of decimal places. Examples of irrational numbers include pi and the square root of 2.

4. How do I add, subtract, multiply, and divide real numbers?

To add or subtract real numbers, simply combine like terms by adding or subtracting their coefficients. To multiply real numbers, use the distributive property to multiply each term in one number by each term in the other number. To divide real numbers, use the rule of dividing fractions by multiplying the reciprocal of the divisor.

5. Why are real numbers important in the field of science?

Real numbers are important in science because they are used to represent physical quantities and measurements. They are used in equations and formulas to describe and analyze natural phenomena, making it easier for scientists to make predictions and understand the world around us.