Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding reaserch topic in Math

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    Honestly, I don't know how to put my question in words. However, I will give it a shot. I just completed BS degree in math and got an admission in MS program for Fall 2010. And I want to enter Ph.d program after MS.

In my last semester, I took a nonlinear programming course and it made me interesting to Optimization. Thus, I want to reaserch about fields of optimization. However, I am not sure what I can do that for the optimization. And also, I do not know how to research about the optimization. What is the optimization? (I know it's very stupid question) How can I find my own fields of optimization?

I should find my advisor for my reaserch. But I am not sure how to find. Some told me "read some papers and contact with professor" hmm.. It's too general answer, but I think it may be right. Can anyone answer more detail?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted