1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding relative speed

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ship cruises forward at Vs = 5 m/s relative to the Water. On deck, a man walks diagonally toward the bow such that his path forms an angle theta = 22 degrees with a line perpendicular to the boat's direction of motion. He walks at Vm = 2 m/s relative to the Boat.

Here is the image

At what speed does he walk relative to the water? Answer in units of m/s.

2. Relevant equations

I'm unsure at what equations to use.

3. The attempt at a solution

Do I find the horizontal movement then minus that number to 5 m/s? Hmm.

Would I do cos 68 = adj/hypo. I got 68 because 90 - 22 = 68 and, I couldn't do cos 22 because it's not a right triangle when I draw in the "imaginary" lines. But what is adj and the hypo and the opposite lengths?

I'm at a lost. Help please
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

You need to add the velocity of the boat relative to water... to the velocity of the man relative to the boat...

take x to be the direction of the boat's motion..

take y perpendicular to x...

You know that the boat's velocity relative to water is:

vxboat = 5m/s
    vyboat = 0m/s

Now, get the x and y components of the man's velocity relative to the boat:

what is vxman and vyman?

The hypoteneuse of your right triangle is 2m/s. The angle is 22 degrees. calculate the two legs of the right triangle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?