Find R1: Resistance for Sinusoidal Current Network

• Thread starter Ivan Antunovic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resistance R1 in a network of sinusoidal current with given values for R2 and X2, in order to achieve a specific phase delay between voltage U and voltage U2. Various equations and approaches are discussed, ultimately leading to the solution of R1 = 35 ohms.
Ivan Antunovic

Homework Statement

In the network of sinusoidal current , R2 = 10 ohm , X2 = -30*sqrt(3) ohm. Find the resistance R1 so that voltage U2 is in phase delay behind voltage U for angle alpha = - pi / 6.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Z2 = sqrt(R^2 + X2^2) = 20*sqrt(7) ohms
fi2 = arctg(X2/R2) = -79. 107 degrees
fi = 30 + fi2 = -49.107 degrees

the rest is in the picture below.

The problem is that this last equation can only give complex solutions and R1 should be in real domain.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 336
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 370
Physics news on Phys.org
See if this works:
Take U as reference(∠0°). You already have angle of Z2 w.r.t. U. You also have angle of U2 i.e I*Z2. Write an expression for current I which includes R1 and from the known angles, calculate R1.

Basically you want the phase angle of ##10 - j30\sqrt{3} + R1## to be -49.107°.

cnh1995 said:
See if this works:
Take U as reference(∠0°). You already have angle of Z2 w.r.t. U. You also have angle of U2 i.e I*Z2. Write an expression for current I which includes R1 and from the known angles, calculate R1.
You mean something like this?
image.png

uploading pictures
I put I at angle + 19 degrees so that U2 is at phase delay 30 degrees behind U.But still I am stuck with complex numbers.

gneill said:
Basically you want the phase angle of ##10 - j30\sqrt{3} + R1## to be -49.107°.
Yes if I put I at zero degrees Z = U / I = Z * exp(j*(-49)) but can't figure out how to use that information.

cnh1995 said:
See if this works:
This gives exactly what gneill said in #3.
Z2 is at an angle -79.107°. I*Z2 is at angle -30°. So, I must be at an angle 49.107°.
Since,
10-j30√3+R1=U∠0°/I∠49.107°,
angle of (10+R1)-(j30√3) is -49.107°.
How do you compute angle of a complex number a±ib?

Last edited:
arctg(-X2/(R1+R2)) = -49.107
-30sqrt(3) = -1.155R1 - 11.547
R1 = 35 ohms.

I am courious what was wrong with my approach?

1. What is R1 in a sinusoidal current network?

R1 refers to the value of resistance in the first component of a sinusoidal current network. It is typically measured in ohms and represents the opposition to the flow of current in the circuit.

2. How is R1 calculated in a sinusoidal current network?

R1 can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. In a sinusoidal current network, the voltage and current will vary over time, so the calculation must be done using instantaneous values at a specific point in time.

3. What factors affect the value of R1 in a sinusoidal current network?

The value of R1 can be affected by the material and dimensions of the component, as well as the temperature and frequency of the current. Changes in any of these factors can alter the resistance and impact the overall functioning of the network.

4. Why is it important to find the value of R1 in a sinusoidal current network?

Knowing the value of R1 is crucial for analyzing and understanding the behavior of the entire network. It helps determine the amount of current that can flow through the circuit and the amount of voltage that will be dropped across the component.

5. How can I find R1 in a sinusoidal current network experimentally?

To find R1 experimentally, you will need to measure the voltage and current at a specific point in time using a multimeter. Then, use Ohm's Law to calculate the resistance using the instantaneous values. This process can be repeated at different points in time to get an average value of R1 for a more accurate result.