1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Resistance

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Finding Resistance

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A number of resistors of values R1 = 3.8 Ω, R2 = 80.0 Ω, and R3 = 20.0 Ω are connected as shown in the figure. What is the resistance between points A and B?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Im confused because all I've been calculating is the equivalent resistance, what is the difference between the two?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

They are just asking for the equivalent resistance of that network, as seen at the entry points A & B. Just use your series & parallel combination rules to reduce the network to a single (equivalent) resistor between A & B, and you will have your answer.

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    ok thank-you

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4
    The Four R1 and R3 are in series thus those five resistors to the right can be combined by adding the value....(4*3.8+20)=35.2Ω
    That resistance is in parallel with the R2 thus the combination of the five and this resistor is equal to 1/(1/35.2+1/80) = 24.4Ω (3sf)
    Now the total becomes this plus 2*R1

Total = 24.4+3.8*2 = 32.0Ω (3s.f.)

Just incase you were still stuck, that and I like to go back to some easy electronics now and again to remind me that my head hasn't exploded :)

6. Mar 29, 2008 #5
    You shouldn't give out the answers. We're not here to give solutions, but rather how to figure out a problem.

7. Mar 29, 2008 #6
    My Apologies, I was only going from what I saw in the rest of the forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?