Finding Resistance Between A & B: Solved

• Thread starter n77ler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
I'll take a note of that.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resistance between points A and B in a network of resistors. The solution involves using series and parallel combination rules to reduce the network to a single equivalent resistor, which is then added to 2 times the value of R1 to get the total resistance. One should not give out answers, but rather guide others on how to solve the problem.
n77ler
[SOLVED] Finding Resistance

Homework Statement

A number of resistors of values R1 = 3.8 Ω, R2 = 80.0 Ω, and R3 = 20.0 Ω are connected as shown in the figure. What is the resistance between points A and B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im confused because all I've been calculating is the equivalent resistance, what is the difference between the two?

Attachments

• A5Problem25.gif
    A5Problem25.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
n77ler said:

Homework Statement

A number of resistors of values R1 = 3.8 Ω, R2 = 80.0 Ω, and R3 = 20.0 Ω are connected as shown in the figure. What is the resistance between points A and B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im confused because all I've been calculating is the equivalent resistance, what is the difference between the two?

They are just asking for the equivalent resistance of that network, as seen at the entry points A & B. Just use your series & parallel combination rules to reduce the network to a single (equivalent) resistor between A & B, and you will have your answer.

ok thank-you

The Four R1 and R3 are in series thus those five resistors to the right can be combined by adding the value...(4*3.8+20)=35.2Ω
That resistance is in parallel with the R2 thus the combination of the five and this resistor is equal to 1/(1/35.2+1/80) = 24.4Ω (3sf)
Now the total becomes this plus 2*R1

Total = 24.4+3.8*2 = 32.0Ω (3s.f.)

Just incase you were still stuck, that and I like to go back to some easy electronics now and again to remind me that my head hasn't exploded :)

You shouldn't give out the answers. We're not here to give solutions, but rather how to figure out a problem.

My Apologies, I was only going from what I saw in the rest of the forum.

1. What is "Finding Resistance Between A & B: Solved"?

"Finding Resistance Between A & B: Solved" is a scientific method used to calculate the resistance between two points, A and B, in an electrical circuit.

2. Why is finding resistance between A & B important?

Finding resistance between A & B is important because it allows us to determine the amount of opposition to the flow of electricity in a circuit. This is crucial in understanding the behavior and efficiency of electrical systems.

3. How is the resistance between A & B calculated?

The resistance between A & B is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In mathematical terms, this is represented as R = V / I.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the resistance between A & B?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the resistance between A & B, including the material and thickness of the wires, the temperature, and the length of the circuit.

5. How can the resistance between A & B be measured?

The resistance between A & B can be measured using a multimeter, which is a device that measures voltage, current, and resistance. The multimeter is connected to the circuit at points A and B, and the resistance is displayed on the screen.