Find Resistance: 120V/3A = 40?

• Thread starter preciousk72
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the formula for finding resistance is R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current. To find resistance with a given voltage and current, divide the voltage by the current. Resistance is important in electricity as it determines the amount of current and heat generated in a circuit. The units for resistance are ohms (Ω), named after the German physicist Georg Ohm. Resistance cannot be negative, as it is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a circuit.
preciousk72

Homework Statement

If a device uses 3 ampere and a 120 Volt, what is the resistance of the material?

Homework Equations

I think it's R=120/3

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is 40 but I don't know 40 what? I don't know if the answer is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is right. Unit of resistance is ohm.

Your answer is correct, the resistance would be 40 ohms. Resistance is measured in ohms, represented by the symbol Ω. So the complete answer would be: "The resistance of the material is 40 ohms."

1. What is the formula for finding resistance?

The formula for finding resistance is R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current.

2. How do you find resistance with a given voltage and current?

To find resistance with a given voltage and current, divide the voltage by the current. For example, if voltage is 120V and current is 3A, the resistance would be 120V/3A = 40.

3. Why is resistance important in electricity?

Resistance is important in electricity because it determines how much current will flow through a circuit. Higher resistance means less current, while lower resistance means more current. It also affects the amount of heat generated in a circuit.

4. What are the units for resistance?

The units for resistance are ohms (Ω). Ohms are represented by the Greek letter omega (Ω) and are named after the German physicist Georg Ohm.

5. Can resistance be negative?

No, resistance cannot be negative. It is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a circuit, and therefore cannot have a negative value. It can only have positive values or be equal to zero.