1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Roots of complex numbers (solve non-linear multi-variable system of equation)

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. z^6=(64,0)
    2. z^4=(3,4)

2. Relevant equations
    These are expanded out into Real and Imaginary components (treat them seperate):
    1. REAL (EQ 1) - x^6-15x^4y^2+15x^2y^4-y^6=64
    IMAG (EQ 2) - 6x^5y-20x^3y^3+6xy^5=0
    From here, you basically solve these for all six roots.
    2. REAL (EQ 1) - x^4-6x^2y^2+y^4=3
    IMAG (EQ 2) - 4x^3y-4xy^3=4

3. The attempt at a solution
    These must be done algebraically, not using Euler angle components (answer would be trivial)

For #1, I have EQ 2 broken down into
    3z^2+3v^2=10zv where z=x^2 and v=y^2.
    I know the solution is z= 3z and z=3/z, which I can then plug into EQ 1, and all my answers will be given. My algebra is just lacking to get those 2 answers for z.

#2 is a lot more difficult and there is no 'zero equation'. Professor gave us hint to make both sides =12 at the end, subtract them to get an equation with 0; this gives me 3 equations

EQ 2 - xy(x^2-y^2)=1
    EQ 1 - x^4+y^4=3(1+2x^2y^2)
    EQ 3 (new formed, what I will likely end up using to solve x in terms of y) - x^4-3x^3y-6x^2y^2+3xy^3+y^4=0

My algerbra must be lacking. Not looking for a given answer, but any hints that will help me solve these non-linear multi-variable system of equations

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2
    Re: Finding Roots of complex numbers (solve non-linear multi-variable system of equat

Is there some reason you're avoiding using the polar (complex exponential) form of complex numbers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook