Finding ∫sec²x dx with basic techniques.

• Thread starter Bohrok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary: But the most basic of all Calc I methods is to know the derivatives of the "standard" functions so you can recognize those antiderivatives on sight. So knowing the antiderivative of ##\sec^2x## on sight isn't "cheating".
Bohrok
Not really a homework problem, but this is just a problem that's been bugging me for a while: how would you find ∫sec2x dx without "cheating" and using the simple fact that d/dx tanx = sec2x? I know it's possible using integration by parts, but I'm looking for a way using calc I level techniques, like u-substitution. So far no success. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
But the most basic of all Calc I methods is to know the derivatives of the "standard" functions so you can recognize those antiderivatives on sight. So knowing the antiderivative of ##\sec^2x## on sight isn't "cheating". It is the standard Calc I method.

Last edited:
Bohrok said:
Not really a homework problem, but this is just a problem that's been bugging me for a while: how would you find ∫sec2x dx without "cheating" and using the simple fact that d/dx tanx = sec2x? I know it's possible using integration by parts, but I'm looking for a way using calc I level techniques, like u-substitution. So far no success. Any ideas?
I don't see how arriving at an anti-derivative by recognizing that the integrand is the derivative of a standard function is "cheating" , but try the following.

This gets pretty ugly, but here goes ...

[itex]\displaystyle \sec^2(x) = 1 + \tan^2(x)[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle = 1 + \frac{\sin^2(x)}{\cos^2(x)}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle = 1 + \frac{1-\cos(2x)}{1+\cos(2x)}[/itex]​
Integrate that.

Unless I missed something, WolframAlpha does it with only substitutions (many of them). See the link: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+%281-cos%282+x%29%29%2F%281%2Bcos%282+x%29%29.

The substitution u=sec x works.

Slightly deviating from SammyS's method and using substitutions,

Remember ##sec^{2}(x) = 1 + tan^{2}(x)##

$$\int sec^{2}(x) dx = \int 1+ tan^2(x)dx = \int 1 + \frac{sin^{2}(x)}{cos^{2}(x)}dx =

\int dx + \int sin(x)\frac{sin(x)}{cos^{2}(x)} dx$$

Integrating by Parts (second integral)
u = sin(x)
u'= cos(x)
v' = sin(x)/cos2(x)
v = 1/cos(x)

Last edited:
I got some great answers, thanks.
vela, u=secx was just what I was looking for :smile:

SammyS, that method looks promising (I was close to working it out like that before), but I kept running into integrating cot2x or csc2x, which are about the same level as integrating sec2x.

BloodyFrozen, I know parts will work; I was just seeing if it was possible using more basic integration techniques in calc I.

I know in a way this problem may seem a little silly by not just using u = tanx since du = sec2x dx in the first place It's kind of like trying to work out a limit problem algebraically without resorting to l'Hôpital's rule; those are the kinds of challenging problems that I like to try working out on my own.

1. What is the basic technique for finding the integral of sec²x?

The basic technique for finding the integral of sec²x is by using the trigonometric identity tan²x + 1 = sec²x and substituting u = tanx to convert the integral into a more manageable form.

2. Why is it important to use the trigonometric identity for finding the integral of sec²x?

Using the trigonometric identity is important because it simplifies the integral and allows us to use basic integration techniques such as substitution and integration by parts.

3. Can we use the power rule to find the integral of sec²x?

No, we cannot use the power rule to find the integral of sec²x because the integrand contains both secant and tangent functions, which cannot be expressed as a power function.

4. Are there any other techniques for finding the integral of sec²x?

Yes, there are other techniques such as using the trigonometric identity secx = 1/cosx and converting the integral into an integral with only cosine functions, or using the substitution u = secx + tanx to simplify the integral.

5. What is the general formula for finding the integral of sec²x?

The general formula for finding the integral of sec²x is ∫sec²x dx = tanx + C, where C is the constant of integration. This can be derived by using the trigonometric identity tan²x + 1 = sec²x and integrating both sides.