1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding shell radius

1. Aug 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    30b1j4i.jpg
    This is the main question.So i'm stuck at the b part
    2nqcjfp.jpg
    It says that the shell radius is (3)^1/2 - (3-y^2)^1/2 but i would only say (3-y^2)^1/2.Why do we say otherwise?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i would say the shell radius is (3-y^2)^1/2 but it's wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2015 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On my device at least your post is sideways so practically unreadable. I probably have nothing helpful to say on the problem, but possibly helpful is to tell you that people who could help won't if they can't read your post, and if it is difficult in such a careless way can be irritated and not want to take any trouble themselves.

4. Aug 2, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It was rather difficult to read. Moreover, it would have been helpful for you to have accompanied the images with more text explaining what you were trying to do here.

For using the shell method and revolving about the x-axis:
    I would say the radius of the shell is y, the width is ##\displaystyle \ \sqrt{3}-\sqrt{3-y^2} \ ##, and the thickness is dy .

5. Aug 3, 2015 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed as posting homework questions as images is not allowed per Physics Forums rules. elfinitty, if you want further help, please re-post in a new thread with the question as readable text. The Physics Forums LaTeX features can help you to format equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook