Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding sides of triangles

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    I was wondering if you can find the sides of a right triangle if you only know the angles of the triangle...i couldnt think of a trig ID or any law..if there is, id like to know it, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you cannot. To see this, take ANY right triangle and multiply the lengths of each side by the same scale factor such as 2. The resulting triangle has exactly the same angles as the original triangle (i.e. it is similar to the original triangle) but it is a distinctly different triangle.

4. Dec 6, 2004 #3
    ok thats what i thought, but i have a problem for my calculus class. its got three containers, two are cones, and the other is a cylinder. I only know the anlge of the two cones, and nothing else. And i need the radius to find the volume, so im not sure how to do that. I have to find the rate at which water is leaking out of one of the cones....

5. Dec 6, 2004 #4
    ziddy,
    can u post the entire question properly?
    It may be so that the radius of the base of the cone may not be necessary at all. Since i see u need to find the rate of water flow, i guess they might have given u the cross sectional area of the opening...

In any case, its better if u post the entire problem here....

-- AI

6. Dec 6, 2004 #5
  7. Dec 6, 2004 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not fair play to pose the same question on two different threads,as long as on one of them you already got an answer,which i found to be more than satisfactory...

8. Dec 6, 2004 #7
    well my bad....sorry you didnt like it. i was asking a question related to traingles at first, so i didnt want to post it in the other forum. And he asked to see the question and i gave HIM the link. so...sorry sir, he wanted to help me... so i gave him the link. Who says that you cant ask more than one person for help?

9. Dec 6, 2004 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would like to add,actually to clarify what i meant by "fair play".Apparently u've gotten this part wrongly.It's fair-play not a specific person (you can ask the same question to as many people u want,in some cases you might get different answers),but to the forum itself.Loading the server with posts on the same debate by the same person.That's not fair play.Surely,had it been somebody else to pose the same question,maybe he would have gotten the link and clarify his question indirectly via somebodyelse's posts.

Daniel.

10. Dec 6, 2004 #9
    ok well....when i originally asked my first question, i hadnt received a reply for about 2 days or so. In the meantime i sort of figured out how to do my porblem, so i was asking another question related to triangles, so i thought i shouldnt ask that question in the CALCULUS forums. so i went to the general math forums. and i thought it would be good to explain why i was wanting the information on the triangles. so i hope this calrifies your confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?