Where Can I Find the Singular Points for a Pendulum System?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding singular points (or equilibrium points) in a system represented by the equation ml^{2}\theta''+b\theta'+mglsin(\theta)=0. The conversation also mentions using the isocline method and visualizing the convergence of isoclines in a phase plane. The expert summarizer also provides a solution for finding singular points and suggests using the pair of equations b\omega+ mgl sin(\theta)= 0 and \omega= 0 to do so.
ash4sigh
hi,

given the system ml[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta''[/tex]+b[tex]\theta'[/tex]+mglsin([tex]\theta[/tex])

how do I find the singular points??

or any system for that matter - trying the isocline method just not working! tedious..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First that isn't a system, it is a single equation (actually what you wrote isn't even an equation but I assume that was supposed to be "= 0").

Start by writing it as a system of equations: let [itex]\omega= \theta'[/itex] so that [itex]\theta"= \omega'[/itex] and your one equation becomes two first order equations:
[itex]ml^2\omega'+ b\omega+ mglsin(\theta)= 0[/itex] and [itex]\theta'= \omega[/itex] or
[itex]ml^2\omega'= -b\omega- mglsin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\theta'= \omega[/itex].

Now "singular points" (or "equilibrium points), points that are single point solutions to the system, are those [itex](\theta, \omega)[/itex] points where the right hand sides of those equations are 0. (I'm very surprised you didn't know that.)

In other words, you must solve the pair of equations [itex]b\omega+ mgl sin(\theta)= 0[/itex] and [itex]\omega= 0[/itex]. And that, obviously, reduces to solving [itex]\sin(\theta)= 0[/itex].

it is a pendulum system - not sure where the second theta came from in the first term though..

so it'll be [itex](\theta= 0+k\Pi,w=0)[/itex] where k is an integer

thank you very much - I have a million and one questions to ask

the hard part with this one is that I am trying to see it from a phase plane perspective - and visualising where the isoclines converge when you can only draw a couple by hand is tough for a newbie..

thank you for your time, I will be sure to be back.

1. What are singular points?

Singular points are points on a surface or in a system where certain properties, such as differentiability or continuity, fail to hold. They can also refer to points where a function is undefined or has a vertical tangent.

2. How do you find singular points?

To find singular points, you must first identify the function or system in question. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as taking derivatives or solving equations to determine where the function or system fails to hold certain properties.

3. Why are singular points important?

Singular points can provide important information about a system or function. They can reveal critical points, such as maximum and minimum values, and can also indicate areas where the system may break down or behave unpredictably.

4. Can singular points be avoided?

In some cases, it may be possible to avoid or minimize singular points by carefully choosing parameters or inputs in a system. However, in many cases, singular points are inherent and cannot be avoided.

5. How are singular points related to critical points?

Singular points and critical points are closely related, as both involve points where certain properties fail to hold. However, critical points specifically refer to points where the derivative of a function is equal to zero, while singular points can encompass a wider range of properties that fail to hold.