1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding slope locations

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f(x) = xe^(2x)

A) Find the values of x for which the slope of the cruve y = f(x) is 0
    B) Explain the meaning of your answer to part (a) in terms of the graph f

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried setting xe^(2x) to 0 by making it 0 = xe^(2x). I dont know what to do from there on. Am i supposed to take the derivative of xe^(2x)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2
    A derivative is a fancy way of saying "instantaneous slope." So if you need to find at which values of x the slope is instantaneously 0, you need to set the derivative to zero, not the function itself.

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3

So i get 2xe^(2x) = 0
    The answers in the back of the book say that x = 1/2 but i just cant seem to find a way to that answer

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4
    Product rule.

6. Mar 23, 2012 #5
    Im sorry i just cant seem to do this right..so far i got

x(2e^(2x))+e^(2x)
    =2e^(2x)x+e^(2x)

7. Mar 23, 2012 #6
    Yes, that looks right. Now set that equal to zero and solve for x. For the record, as you've written f(x), I believe the answer in the book is incorrect.
    [tex] 2xe^{2x}+e^{2x} = 0[/tex]

Can you solve it from here? What answer do you find? I will tell you if I find the same answer.

8. Mar 23, 2012 #7
    I thinking that you can factor out a e^(2x).

So it would be e^(2x)(x+1).

Then subtract 1 to the other side, then divide by...I have no clue

9. Mar 23, 2012 #8
    if A(x)B(x) = 0, what must be true about at least A(x) or B(x)? Think back to algebra I where you solved

[tex]x^2-1=(x+1)(x-1)=A(x)B(x) = 0[/tex]
    [tex]A(x)=x+1[/tex]
    [tex]B(x)=x-1[/tex]

Another method to arriving to the same conclusion is:
    What does
    [tex] \frac{0}{A}[/tex]
    equal if A is nonzero? Is an exponential ever zero? A/A = 1 if A is nonzero too. Can you think of a single step to remove the exponential?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. Mar 23, 2012 #9
    Im sorry i dont understand

11. Mar 23, 2012 #10
    Divide both sides by the exponential or you can simply say if A(x)B(x) = 0, A(X) = 0 or B(x) = 0.
    [tex] A(x) = e^{2x}[/tex]
    [tex] B(x) = 2x+1[/tex]
    A(x) cannot reach zero for a finite x. B(x) can. So solve for when B(x) = 0 for the solution. Note, you end up solving for B(x) = 0 if you divide both sides by A(x) (the exponential).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook