Calculating Sound Level Intensity with Multiple Jet Engines

In summary, the person would experience a sound level intensity bordering on pain at 114 dB if the captain only had one engine running.
mortho

Homework Statement

A person standing a certain distance from an airplane with four equally noisy jet engines is feeling a sound level intensity bordering on pain, 114 dB. What sound level intensity would this person experience if the captain shut down all but one engine?

I have no idea how to do this problem. I thought this was relative intensity so i plugged it into the formula and found intensity. Now I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mortho said:
I thought this was relative intensity so i plugged it into the formula and found intensity.

It is a relative intensity problem. Which formula did you use? You were supposed to enter that into Part 2 of the posting template.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!

Show us what you did. That was supposed to go into Part 3 of the posting template.

Yeah, i was in a rush when i posted that because my computer's being repaired and I'm at the library and time was running out. Here's my work

I used relative intensity=10log (I/Io)

114=10log(I/1e-12) and got 0.251 w/m2 for I. I do not know what to do after this.

OK, you have the value for I, divide by four and calculate the new sound level intensity.

Is it 108 Hz?

i just submitted and it was correct. THanks for your help :)

No problem.

The thing to realize is, you had the value for the power / m^2 at whatever arbitrary distance from the plane, then 3/4 of the engines were shut down, so you automatically know the new power / m^2 at this arbitrary distance.

I have the same problem. Except instead of 114 dB it's 121 dB. I do not understand where the 1e-12 came from. Can someone tell me please?

Also, here is what I have done so far:

121=10log(I/Io)
121/10=log(I/Io)
10^12.1=I/Io

Now I do not know what to do... I am stuck there since I have no clue to what Io is and we're trying to solve for I- two variables one equation...

Please Help.

Io = 10-12 w/m2

This is the lowest threshold of human hearing.

So the ratio of the sound intensity to that is 121/10 or

I = 121dB can also be written as 1012.1*10-12 w/m2

I did that and I got an answer of .315 dB
I need the answer to be in dB to submit. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong here?

zrome said:
I did that and I got an answer of .315 dB
I need the answer to be in dB to submit. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong here?

Perhaps you should show your work. And maybe even what the problem is, because, if it is the same as the OP here where 3 jet engines cut out, you won't be getting .315 dB, if you calculated it correctly.

1. What is sound level intensity?

Sound level intensity is a measure of the amount of sound energy that is transmitted through a certain area. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is used to describe the loudness or intensity of a sound.

2. How is sound level intensity measured?

Sound level intensity can be measured using a device called a sound level meter. This device measures the pressure of sound waves and converts it into decibels. The sound level meter is usually held at a specific distance from the sound source to get an accurate reading.

3. What factors affect sound level intensity?

Several factors can affect sound level intensity, including the distance from the sound source, the type of sound, and the environment in which the sound is being measured. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure can also have an impact on sound level intensity.

4. What are some common applications of measuring sound level intensity?

Measuring sound level intensity can be useful in a variety of applications. It is commonly used in industries such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing to monitor and control noise levels for the safety and comfort of workers. It is also used in the entertainment industry for sound engineering and in environmental studies to measure noise pollution levels.

5. How does sound level intensity affect human health?

Exposure to high levels of sound level intensity can have negative effects on human health. Prolonged exposure to loud noises can lead to hearing loss, tinnitus, and other hearing-related issues. It can also cause stress, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating. It is important to monitor and control sound level intensity to protect our hearing and overall well-being.