1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding speed of block

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass [itex]m[/itex] is at rest at the origin at [itex]t=0[/itex]. It is pushed with constant force [itex]F_0[/itex] from [itex]x=0[/itex] to [itex]x=L[/itex] across a horizontal surface whose coefficient of kinetic friction is [itex]\mu_k=\mu_0(1-x/L)[/itex]. That is, the coefficient of friction decreases from [itex]\mu_0[/itex] at [itex]x=0[/itex] to zero at [itex]x=L[/itex].
    Find an expression for the block's speed as it reaches position [itex]L[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I ended up with [itex]F_{net}=F_0 - mg\mu_0 + \frac{mgx}{L}[/itex]
    I can use this to find [itex]a[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex], but I don't know what use that would be.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

That is almost correct. The last term is not quite right. Try checking it, I think you just made a slight mistake. Also, about what to do next - you have an equation for the force on the block, so how could you find the change in kinetic energy of the block?

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3
    Try writing
    $$ a(x)=\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} $$
    and solve the differential equation for ##x(t)##... then final speed is
    $$ \frac{dx}{dt}|_{x=L} $$

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4
    Okay, I've solved the problem using the work/kinetic energy method implied by BruceW. Thanks!
    If you're curious I got [itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2F_0L}{m}-Lg\mu_0}[/itex]

6. Mar 19, 2013 #5

BruceW

Homework Helper

yep. nice work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted