Finding speed using conservation of mechanical energy

In summary, a ball (m = 0.0585 kg) is at rest against a compressed spring (k = 675 N/m) at point A. When the spring is released, the ball slides (without rolling) to point B, which is 0.300 m higher than point A. The speed of the ball at point B is found using the equation (mgh at A) + (1/2)(k)(x^2 at A) = (1/2)(m)(V^2 at B) + (1/2)(k)(x^2 at B). The speed at point B is calculated to be 23.105 m/s. The potential energy of the spring after it has
Ester
In preparation for shooting a ball in a pinball machine, a spring (k = 675 N/m) is compressed by 0.0650 m relative to its unstrained length. The ball (m = 0.0585 kg) is at rest against the spring at point A. When the spring is released, the ball slides (without rolling) to point B, which is 0.300 m higher than point A. How fast is the ball moving at B?

I drew three springs vertically each having a ball on the top. The first spring on my left, is unstrained. The second spring is compressed by 0.065 m. The third spring is the tallest, it is .3 m above the second spring. The second spring having a ball at the top is called point A. The third spring having the ball at the top is called point B. I made my h=0 at point B.
From the way I understand the problem, speed at A is zero and mgh at B is also zero. This leads me to the following equation:
(mgh at A) + (1/2)(k)(x^2 at A) = (1/2)(m)(V^2 at B) + (1/2)(k)(x^2 at B)

I don't know if this is right, but I think that h at A is -0.3. Also, x^2 at A is 0^2 - (0.065^2). My x^2 at B is (-(.065^2)) - (.235^2). Plugging everything in, I get my speed at B to be 23.105 m/s. Is this right? Am I using the right approach. Are my values right? Unfortunately, this question is an even question from my textbook, so I do not have an answer for it. If someone is certain, please help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the spring expands all .3 meters with the ball. I think the ball leaves the spring when it expands. I think you can neglect the potential energy of the spring after it has expanded.

thanks, your right, the answer works that way

1. How is mechanical energy conserved in a system?

Mechanical energy is conserved in a system when the sum of the kinetic energy and potential energy remains constant. This means that as the object moves, its kinetic energy may change, but its potential energy will also change in equal measure, resulting in a constant total mechanical energy.

2. What is the equation for finding speed using conservation of mechanical energy?

The equation for finding speed using conservation of mechanical energy is: KE + PE = Constant. This means that the sum of the kinetic energy (KE) and potential energy (PE) at any point in the system will always equal a constant value.

3. How do you apply conservation of mechanical energy to solve for speed?

To apply conservation of mechanical energy to solve for speed, you must first identify all forms of potential and kinetic energy in the system. Then, set up the equation KE + PE = Constant and plug in the known values. Finally, solve for the unknown variable, which in this case is the speed.

4. Can conservation of mechanical energy be applied to all systems?

Yes, conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental principle in physics and can be applied to all systems as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the system must be isolated from outside influences such as friction or air resistance.

5. What are the limitations of using conservation of mechanical energy to find speed?

The main limitation of using conservation of mechanical energy to find speed is that it only applies to systems with no external forces. In real-world situations, it is almost impossible to have a completely isolated system, so there will always be some external forces acting on the object. This can result in small discrepancies between the calculated speed and the actual speed of the object.