1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Spring Constant

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The left side of the figure shows a light (`massless') spring of length 0.330 m in its relaxed position. It is compressed to 71.0 percent of its relaxed length, and a mass M= 0.210 kg is placed on top and released from rest (shown on the right).

The mass then travels vertically and it takes 1.50 s for the mass to reach the top of its trajectory. Calculate the spring constant, in N/m. (Use g=9.81 m/s2). Assume that the time required for the spring to reach its full extension is negligible.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not too sure about how I consider the time it takes for the mass to go back up.
    I know that the energy while the mass is on the spring is mg (downwards) and -kx upwards.

Then when the ball goes back up - its KE + mgh is equal to mg-kx?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2009 #2
    Calculate the maximum height of the object above the compressed spring, then you'll have a value of gravitational potential energy that is equal to the potential energy initially stored in the compressed spring.

Then you simply solve for k.
  4. Dec 19, 2009 #3
    if so then why do i need the t=1.5 sec? it doesn't make any sense...

is this what you suggest:
    mgh = 0.21*0.71*0.33*9.81= -k(0.29*0.33)
  5. Dec 19, 2009 #4
    The mass flies free of the spring and reaches an unknown height. use t to determine that height and the relation

mgh = 1/2 K*x^2

where x is the displacement of the spring which we are not given directly, but can be figured fout rom the data given.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook