1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Stationary Points

1. Jan 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attached for problem

Attempt at solution

∂f/∂x = 3x2+12x
    ∂f/∂y = 3y2-12y

Factorise

x(3x+12)

x=0 or,
    3x+12 = 0 → x= -4

y(3y-12)

y=0 or,
    3y-12=0 → y=4

I find the next stage difficult, because there are no mixed terms in the polynomial any of the values i substitute into another gives me 0, because of this i need help finding the stationary points, I'm fine with classifying them

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      7.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't see the difficulty. You have two values for x and two for y. How many combinations does that give for (x, y)?

4. Jan 7, 2014 #3
    This just gives me two stationary points doesn't it?

5. Jan 7, 2014 #4
    I see, it is 4, i thought there would be other values i would need, so my points would be

(0,0)
    (0,4)
    (-4,0)
    (-4,4)

Is this correct?

6. Jan 7, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you had had "mixed" terms, xy, then you would have equations with both x and y leading to the result that a specific value of x leads to a specific value of y. Here, that does not happen. The derivative with respect to x will be 0 if x= 0 or -4 no matter what y is. The derivative with respect to y will be 0 if y= 0 or 4 no matter what x is. In particular, both derivatives will be 0 at (0, 0), (0, 4), (-4, 0), and (-4, 4) as you say.

7. Jan 7, 2014 #6
    Thanks, that explanation helps me understand that better

8. Jan 7, 2014 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, those are the stationary points. As for classification: have you taken (multivariate) second-order tests yet?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted