1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding stresses at a point

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    So I'm studying for an upcoming Mechanics of Materials exam. Gotta ace it! Anyways, I'm having trouble with these types of problems. Finding state of stress on a point in 3D. This picture comes from: http://www.academia.edu/6204133/Chapter_09

Which has worn shown, but not explanations. I have two questions to start, but hopefully more will surface and get answered . . .

1) I always have trouble finding Q and I don't know why. Does anyone have a solid equation or "explanation for dummies"? It's just the centroid-to-center-of-area distance, right?

2) Which equation to use and what it corresponds to. I think what would really help is just, what does each equation mean in terms of stress. For example, I know Normal Stress is σ = F/A, and I know it acts parallel to the plane it's on (so σx points in the X direction).

I think using this problem as an example could work. Also, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook