Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding subpages without links

Tags:
  1. Mar 22, 2015 #1
    I'm wondering if there's a way to find all the subpages on a website even if the mainpages don't have any links to them. I bet you could keep guessing the names of the subpages but that would take forever.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think there is a way to do this without knowing the file structure of the web site.

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3

jtbell

You can sometimes find files by "backwhacking" a URL, that is, entering partial URLS corresponding to (sub)directories (folders), with a slash at the end. If an Apache server is configured to allow directory listings and a directory does not contain an index.html file (or whatever other files the server recognizes as "index files" e.g. index.php), this will give you a listing of the files in that directory.

However, if the directory contains an index.html or similar file, you will always get that. If the directory listings are disabled, and there is no index.html, you will get an "access denied" message or something similar.

5. Mar 22, 2015 #4
    An additional really simple tool for finding pages on a site is to do a search like:
    "doctor who" site:physicsforums.com
    on Google. Google will index pages not linked to on the main page if they are linked to elsewhere on the net, so if a page here talked about Doctor Who and was not indexed from any page, it could still show up if another page linked to it. (Edit: At least they used to, I haven't tried it lately)

6. Mar 27, 2015 #5
    How?

7. Mar 27, 2015 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Unlikely in this day & age.

8. Mar 27, 2015 #7

jtbell

How what, exactly? :oldconfused:

9. Mar 28, 2015 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook