Find Sweet Spot for Elastic Collision w/ Rod of Mass M & Length L

• Thread starter syang9
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the "sweet spot" for an elastic collision between a ball and a rod, where the bottom of the rod remains stationary after the collision. By considering the conservation of angular momentum and using impulses, the value of y corresponding to the sweet spot can be calculated. However, this requires solving a quadratic equation and there may be easier methods to determine the sweet spot.
syang9
finding "sweet spot"

"a ball of mass m makes an elastic collision with rod of mass M and length L. the ball hits a distance y from the bottom of the rod. find the value of y corresponding to the "sweet spot" for the collision, where the bottom of the rod remains instantaneously at rest after the collision."

condition for hitting sweet spot: I (moment of inertia) for rod is instantaneously 1/3ML^2 (for rotation about stationary axis).

angular momentum is conserved if we consider the system to be the rod and the ball. therefore:

L_i = L_f; m*(v_i)*y = 1/3(ML^2)wf (omega final, final angular velocity of rod after collision)

at this point, unknowns are y and wf. to find wf, we consider the fact that energy and linear momentum are conserved:

E_i = E_f

1/2*m*v_i^2 = 1/2*I*wf^2 + 1/2*m*v_f^2

eliminate 1/2, use linear momentum to eliminate v_f

p_i = p_f

m*v_i = M*v_CM + m*v_f

we know that the center of mass will be rotating, so we can use the relation v_CM = r*w, where r is the location of the center of mass (L/2). therefore, solving for v_f, we obtain

v_f = v_i - M/2m*(L*wf)

this is where i run into problems. my strategy was to use this v_f and solve for wf in the energy conservation equation, and then consequently solve for y in the angular momentum conservation equation. however, upon subsituting the above formula for v_f into the energy conservation equation, it becomes an extremely convoluted quadratic equation. what have i done wrong? is there an easier way to do this (preferably, without using impulses?)

thanks so much for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
syang9 said:
L_i = L_f; m*(v_i)*y = 1/3(ML^2)wf (omega final, final angular velocity of rod after collision)

What about the angular momentum of the ball after collision?

syang9 said:
is there an easier way to do this (preferably, without using impulses?)
Actually, using impulses is the way to go. Forget about energy conservation, just consider that the collision imparts some impulse to the rod. That (linear) impulse = Mv, where v is the speed of the rod's CM after the collision. That same collision also imparts an angular impulse that equals Iw. (If the linear impulse is Mv, what's the angular impulse?) The condition for pure rotation about one end is that the velocity of the CM (v) must equal Lw/2. Combine these statements and you can solve for the point of impact that is the "sweet spot".

1. How do you determine the sweet spot for elastic collision with a rod of mass M and length L?

The sweet spot for elastic collision with a rod of mass M and length L can be determined by using the formula: x = L/2 + (M/4L), where x represents the distance from the center of mass to the sweet spot. This formula takes into account the mass and length of the rod to calculate the optimal point of collision.

2. What is the significance of finding the sweet spot for an elastic collision?

Finding the sweet spot for an elastic collision is important because it allows for maximum transfer of energy between the colliding objects. This can result in more efficient and effective collisions, leading to better experimental results and more accurate calculations.

3. Can the sweet spot for elastic collision change for different values of mass and length?

Yes, the sweet spot for elastic collision can change for different values of mass and length. This is because the location of the center of mass and the distribution of mass along the rod can affect the optimal point of collision.

4. How does the speed of the colliding objects impact the location of the sweet spot?

The speed of the colliding objects does not have a direct impact on the location of the sweet spot. However, it can affect the overall outcome of the collision and the amount of energy transferred between the objects.

5. How can the concept of the sweet spot for elastic collision be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of the sweet spot for elastic collision can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in sports like billiards or pool, where finding the optimal point of contact can result in more accurate shots. It can also be applied in engineering and design to improve the efficiency of collisions in machinery and equipment.