1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding T in SUVAT

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass accelerates from 2.5ms^(-1) to 7.5ms^(-1) over a distance of 45m. Find the acceleration and the time it takes to do this.

2. Relevant equations
    I know I need to use s=0.5(u+v)t

But I have no idea how to rearrange it to find t, I am useless at rearranging equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got t=0.5(u+v)-s

I know I did it wrong because I have the answer to the questions here, But It's not really what I'm looking for.

I need to know how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ben

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

if I gave you the equation [itex]y=Ax[/itex]....could you solve it for [itex]x[/itex]?

4. Nov 24, 2008 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The "0.5(u+v)" part of the equation is the "average speed." Quite literally it is one half of the sum of initial and final velocities. If it is written as (u+v)/2 it makes more sense.

But I am guessing (based on the way you wrote the unit for velocity) that your textbook, or teacher, likes to put everything "above the line."

Anyway, to solve for t, multiply both sides of the equation by 2, then divide both sides by (u+v).

Warning: you better get better than "useless" at algebraic manipulation really quickly, otherwise Physics will get impossible for you. This is one of the main features of problem solving. Get tutorial help ASAP

5. Nov 24, 2008 #4
    Something in your explanation made everything click into place. I guess the late nights aren't helping at the moment. Thanks very much and I'm looking into getting extra tuition.

Thanks once again,
    Ben

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?