1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Tension in rope

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The block moves at 2.3 m/s to the left (on a flat, horizontal surface). If μk, the coefficient of friction between the block and the floor, is .40, what is the tension in the rope? Also, the weight of the block is 9.8 N

2. Relevant equations

No equations were given... but I used Fk=μkFn

3. The attempt at a solution
    2.3=.40Fn
    Fn=5.75?
    I googled how to find tension.. Some told me I needed three components: Ff, Fn, and Fg and some gave an acceleration for gravity. I don't understand how to go about this problem :/

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What rope? Is there a rope pulling this block? Is the speed constant? What does that tell you?

You'll need that to figure out the friction force.

You set a speed (2.3 m/s) equal to a force. That makes no sense! :yuck: Also, Fn is given! No need to calculate it.

Start by drawing a free body diagram of the block. What forces act? What's the net force on the block?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted