Solving for Tensions and Mass in a System of Forces

• Thread starter c-murda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, Homework Statement Finding Tensions IS SO FUN. You can use the equations to solve for tensions in a figure. The Attempt at a Solution provides tips on drawing the figure correctly.
c-murda
[SOLVED] Finding Tensions IS SO FUN

Homework Statement

Find tesnions T1, T2, and T3 and M in figure attached...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To start i drew three FBD

A) for mass on left

Fm= T2-m*g = 0

B)the intersection

Fx = T3 cos 37 - T2 cos 63 = 0
Fy = T2 sin 63 + T3 sin 37 - T1 = 0

C) mass of box

F = T1 - mg

so...
C) box
T1 = (6.00kg)*(9.80m/s^2) = 58.8 N

B) Intersection
.799T3 - .454T2 = 0
.891T2 +.602T3 = 58.8N
.891T2 + .602[((.454/)(.799))*(T2))] = 58.8
1.23T2= 58.8N
T2= 58.8/1.23= 47.8N

T3 = ((.454/)(.799))*(T2); = ((.454/)(.799))*(47.8); T3 = 26.8

A) T2/g = m (47.8N)/(9.80 m/s^2) = m = 4.87kg

Attachments

• test2number3.jpg
    test2number3.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 276
Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to tell from the diagram what those angles refer to. Are they the angles the strings make with the horizontal? Where does the angle 63 come from?

Doc Al said:
It's hard to tell from the diagram what those angles refer to. Are they the angles the strings make with the horizontal? Where does the angle 63 come from?

the line is there merely just to show those angles...it was hard to tell from the original diagram so i put that line there...

You never answered my questions about the angles.

Doc Al said:
You never answered my questions about the angles.

haha i did not read it all...lol

i assumed from the angle give it was attached to the horizontal...

i got the 63 from the intersection when i drew the angle i added to make 180...37 plus 80 plus 63

c-murda said:
i got the 63 from the intersection when i drew the angle i added to make 180...37 plus 80 plus 63
Sorry, still not clear to me. (Your diagram has the numbers floating about.) So are you saying:

The left string makes an angle of 80 to the horizontal?
The right string makes an angle of 37 to the horizontal?
The angle between the strings is 63?

okay let's say there was a hypothetical line below the " V " where the 80 is...(implying that "v" angle would be 80 degrees), then the right string attaches to the horizontal at the top to make a 37 degree angle and the left string attaches to the pulley

below the 80degree angle and to the right would also be a 37 degree angle
below the 80 degree angle and to the left would be a 63 degree angle...

sorry I am not trying to make this confusing but the problem was drawn exactly how i have it...with number floating around and string attaching in weird places...

Last edited:
OK, now that I understand the angles (sorry about that!): Your work looks fine to me!

my teacher took off one point because of T3 it needed to be rounded up... blah anyways...thanx for you help

1. What is "Finding Tensions IS SO FUN"?

"Finding Tensions IS SO FUN" is a phrase that describes the process of identifying and analyzing conflicting ideas, beliefs, or perspectives within a particular topic or situation. It involves critically examining multiple viewpoints and understanding the underlying reasons for disagreement.

2. Why is finding tensions important?

Finding tensions is important because it allows for a deeper understanding and evaluation of a topic. By recognizing and addressing conflicting ideas, we can gain a more well-rounded perspective and make more informed decisions.

3. How do you find tensions?

There are many ways to find tensions, but some common methods include conducting research, engaging in discussions or debates with others, and critically analyzing different viewpoints and arguments. It's important to actively listen and consider all perspectives in order to accurately identify tensions.

4. Can anyone find tensions or is it a skill that needs to be learned?

Finding tensions is a skill that can be learned and improved upon over time. While some people may have a natural inclination towards identifying tensions, anyone can develop this skill through practice, critical thinking, and open-mindedness.

5. How can finding tensions be applied in real life?

Finding tensions can be applied in various aspects of life, including personal relationships, work environments, and societal issues. By understanding and addressing conflicting perspectives, we can foster better communication, make more informed decisions, and create positive change in our communities.