1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the absolute value (modulus) and solving equation please help

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1
    1. | (2-i)(3+2i)(-5-6i)(-7+3i) / (-4+i) |

2. Relevant equations

3. Im pretty sure im not computing it right but this is what i come up with.

square root of 5* square root of 13* square root of 61* square root of 58 / square root of 17.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm really sure you are computing it right. |a*b|=|a|*|b|, yes? Why do you think it's not right?

4. Jul 2, 2011 #3
    I'm not sure if the value of i by itself is 1 or whether or not to include it when I am finding the square root.

5. Jul 2, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The absolute value of a+bi where a and b are both real is sqrt(a^2+b^2). It's the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle with real side a and imaginary perpendicular side b in the Argand diagram. It's the pythagorean theorem. |1|=1 and |i|=1. You are doing everything correctly. Trust me.

6. Jul 2, 2011 #5
    Ok, thanks for the help. Making sure but theres nothing more to do to this problem, correct?

7. Jul 3, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not really. You could collect the square roots, or you could write it as an approximate decimal. But I don't see any reason to do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook