1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the angle in a vector

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Finding the angle in a vector

hey these are normally easy, but I keep getting this wrong
    Here are three displacements, each in meters: d1 = 5.0 i + 5.0 j -6.0 k, d2 = -1.0 i -1.0 j + 3.0 k, and d3 = 4.0 i + 3.0 j + 2.0 k.

(a) What is r = d1 - d2 + d3?
    Got it right, 10,9,-7
    (b) What is the angle between r and the positive z axis?
    I am getting 127.87 degrees, but its wrong

I am taking the vector r's j and k, or y and z axes. then I am just doing sqrt(9^2 + -7^2) and then cos-1(-7/11.4(which is the mag)) can anyone help this is due in like 35 mins
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2
    Are you using the dot product, or trig? Regardless, your magnitude for r is wrong, it should be sqrt(9^2 + 7^2 + 10^2). So the z leg is -7, which you got, and the magnitude gives the new magnitude. The angle would just he inverse cosine of that proportion.
  4. Sep 16, 2007 #3
    if I put the mag at 15.17, it would mess it up right, because the vectors r axis doesn't have anything to do with z right, its up 9 and out -7 if you look at it straight on

are you saying its 117.49?
  5. Sep 16, 2007 #4
    when finding the magnitude of a vector you can't just ignore one of the components.

0i+9j-7k =/= 10i+9j-7k

so the magnitude of the just 9j-7k is not equal to the magnitude of 10i+9j-7k
  6. Sep 16, 2007 #5
    Hmm, I'm not really sure what you mean by the r axis. Take three pencils and put them on the edge of table, each one representing the respective axis, and then point a stick out and down to represent your r vector. It wants the angle between the stick and the z axis directly, so ignore the x and the y pencils, and figure out the angle between the stick and the z pencil.

What you are proposing is to cut up some of the stick, and move it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?