Finding the angle of an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1900 kg car experiencing a combined force of air resistance and friction while going up or down a hill at a constant velocity of 27 m/s. The question is at what angle is the hill inclined above the horizontal, given that the car's engine needs to produce 47 hp more power going up the hill compared to going down. The approach involves setting up force equations in the x direction and solving for the angle. However, there is some confusion with the variable 'P' representing power and whether the first term in the equations makes sense. The final answer of theta < 1° or about 2° seems unreasonably low.
scimanyd
This should be an easy question, but I am having problems with my conflicting solutions. Maybe someone could help.

A 1900 kg car experiences a combined force of air resistance and friction that has the same magnitude whether the car goes up or down the hill at 27 m/s. Going up a hill, the car's engine needs to produce 47 hp more power to sustain the constant velocity than it does going down the same hill. At what angle is the hill inclined above the horizontal?

My approach:

First P=Fv ... so I sub in Force =Power/velocity
and then set up my force equations in the x direction which I set parallel to the inclined plane.

Assuming Power up = power down + 47hp(or 35060Watts)

UP: P/v - sinθmg - (friction+air resistance) = 0
DOWN: (P+47hp)/v + sinθmg - (friction+air resistance) = 0

I tried setting these two equations equal to each other and I come up with theta <1°
I tried solving for P in one and then subbing into the other and solving for Theta and I get theta = about 2°.
Still this seams unreasonably low, I wouldn't think that it would take 47hp more to go up a 2° incline

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you specify what the variable 'P' is supposed to represent? Also, are you sure that the first term in both of your expressions makes sense?

Yes, P stands for power
I substituted P/v in for my applied force, since power = Force*velocity
I should be allowed to make the sub.

the equations simplified: Force - weight(portion along x axis) - Friction = 0 ... (constant velocity tells me that the equation is in equalibrium)

In second equation instead of
P+47 you had to write P-47

enjoy

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface that is higher on one end than the other. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object to a certain height.

2. How do you find the angle of an inclined plane?

The angle of an inclined plane can be found by using the formula: angle = inverse tangent (height/length). This can also be calculated using a protractor or by measuring the height and length of the inclined plane and using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the purpose of finding the angle of an inclined plane?

Finding the angle of an inclined plane is important in understanding the mechanical advantage of the machine. It also helps in determining the amount of force needed to lift an object up the inclined plane.

4. Can the angle of an inclined plane be greater than 90 degrees?

Yes, the angle of an inclined plane can be greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the inclined plane is considered a decline plane and is used to decrease the effort needed to lower an object rather than lift it.

5. How does the angle of an inclined plane affect the work done?

The angle of an inclined plane affects the work done by changing the mechanical advantage of the machine. A smaller angle will require less force to lift an object, while a larger angle will require more force. This is because a smaller angle increases the length of the inclined plane, reducing the height that the object needs to be lifted.