Solving for Angle on Inclined Plane: 75 kg + 125 kg Masses

• Thread starter mkelle12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the problem involves a 75.0 kg mass connected to a hanging 125 kg mass over a frictionless pulley on an inclined plane with a coefficient of friction of 0.143. After dropping 8.75 m, the 125 kg mass is moving at a speed of 8.00 m/s. To solve for the angle of inclination, the equation 0.708299 = 0.143cos(Θ) + sin(Θ) is used, resulting in a solution of 33.6°.
mkelle12
The Problem:

A 75.0 kg mass sits on an inclined plane, and a rope passing over a pulley at the top connects it to a hanging 125 kg mass. The pulley is frictionless and its mass is negligible. The coefficient of friction between the 75.0 kg block and the plane is 0.143. The system is released from rest, and after dropping 8.75 m, the 125 kg mass is moving at a speed of 8.00 m/s. What is the angle of inclination of the plane from the horizontal?

What I have:

I've gotten really far with this problem. I found:
T=767.876
T=(mu*normal force) + mgsin(Θ)+ ma

From that I've gotten:
0.708299= 0.143cos(Θ) + sin(Θ)
I know what the answer is, 33.6 was accepted, but I would like to know how to solve the problem. Have I done ok so far? How do i solve for Θ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution:You are on the right track with your solution. To solve for Θ, you can use the equation you derived: 0.708299 = 0.143cos(Θ) + sin(Θ). This is a quadratic equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a=1, b=-0.143 and c=0.708299. Using the quadratic formula, you can calculate the two solutions for Θ, which are 33.6° and 146.4°. The answer is 33.6°, since the angle of inclination should be less than 90°.

1. How do I find the angle on an inclined plane with two masses?

To find the angle on an inclined plane with two masses, you will need to use the formula: tan(θ) = (m₁/m₂) where θ is the angle of the inclined plane, m₁ is the smaller mass, and m₂ is the larger mass.

2. What is the significance of using two masses in this problem?

The use of two masses in this problem allows us to take into account the weight and force of both objects on the inclined plane. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the angle.

3. Can I use this formula for any inclined plane problem?

Yes, this formula can be used for any inclined plane problem as long as you have the mass of two objects on the plane and the angle is unknown.

4. What units should I use for the masses in this formula?

You should use the same units for both masses in this formula. It is recommended to use kilograms (kg) for mass and meters (m) for distance.

5. Is there a specific method to solving for the angle on an inclined plane?

Yes, the most common method is to use the tangent function as shown in the formula tan(θ) = (m₁/m₂). However, there are other methods such as using trigonometric identities or the Pythagorean theorem depending on the given information in the problem.