Finding the angular displacement

In summary, the rotor of a helicopter starts from rest and reaches its operating speed in 7.28 seconds with an angular acceleration of 92.5 rad/s^2. By using the formula for angular position, the angular displacement during that time is calculated to be 2451.176 rad. This is equivalent to the new angular position, as the angular displacement is a fancy way of saying angular position.
Schu
Here's the question:
the rotor of a helicopter starts from REST and reaches it's operating speed in 7.28s If the angular acceleration of the rotor is 92.5 rad/s^2, what is the angular displacement during that time?

I'm not sure where to start.
If I multiply the time by the acceleration I would get the velocity only in rad/s.
But then I was thinking more like:
Angular position= 1/2 (angular acceleration) *t^2+(initial angular velocity)*t+(initial angular position)

If I plug them into the angular position formula I get 2451.176 rad

Is the angular displacement a fancy way to say angular position?? :confused:
Is this the right track to be on?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's definitely the right track!
(displacement=new position minus old position, so by assuming old angular position 0, the angular displacement equals the new angular position)

Yes, you are on the right track! Angular displacement is the change in angular position, so you can use the formula you mentioned to calculate the angular displacement. In this case, you would need to use the initial angular velocity of 0 since the rotor starts from rest. Plugging in the values, the angular displacement would be 2451.176 rad, which is also the final angular position after 7.28s. Good job!

1. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is defined as the change in angular position of an object or particle relative to a reference point. It is usually measured in radians or degrees and can be positive or negative depending on the direction of rotation.

2. How is angular displacement different from linear displacement?

Angular displacement involves the change in the angle of an object or particle, while linear displacement involves the change in position of an object in a straight line. Angular displacement is a vector quantity, while linear displacement is a scalar quantity.

3. How do you calculate angular displacement?

Angular displacement can be calculated by taking the difference between the initial and final angular positions of an object. This can be represented by the formula Δθ = θf - θi, where θf is the final position and θi is the initial position.

4. What are some real-life applications of angular displacement?

Angular displacement is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to measure the rotation of objects, such as wheels on a car, the movement of a pendulum, or the rotation of planets in our solar system. It is also used in calculating torque and angular velocity.

5. How does angular displacement relate to other angular measures?

Angular displacement is closely related to other angular measures such as angular velocity and angular acceleration. Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. These measures are all interconnected and can be used to describe the motion of rotating objects.