1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the angular resolution

1. May 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1.3.png

2. Relevant equations
    θ=1.22 (λ/D)

3. The attempt at a solution
    1.3 answer.jpg
    Just want to know if I properly answered this question.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, your methodology is correct.

The only thing I can not confirm is how you are expected to choose the typical wavelengths involved. The GMRT is capable of operating on many frequencies in different bands -- altogether the range is greater than an order of magnitude from highest to lowest wavelength. Although yes, 1 m is within that range, if you're just looking for a ballpark figure.

Similarly, we can say the same thing about the optical wavelength (where 500 nm is typical), although it is a much narrower range (much less than 1 order of magnitude).

So anyway, I'm guessing that your approach is fine. Your usage of the formulae is good. I think your choices of wavelengths are good for ballpark figures, but I can't say for sure that you are supposed to be looking for ballpark figures.

4. May 24, 2015 #3

Thank you for your detailed response

5. May 24, 2015 #4
    I think radio wavelengths larger than 10m are blocked by the atmosphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted