• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding the area of f(x+1)

Homework Statement

Suppose that: 02f(x)dx = 2 12f(x)dx = -1 and 24 = 7, find 01f(x+1)dx

Homework Equations

abf(x) = F(b) - F(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

So in these types of integration, we are needed to use u-substitution, the problem is, using u-substitution requires you to have the equation of the graph to get an exact value, but we just have f(x).I already evaluated 01f(x)dx = 3 if that helps at all.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

abf(x) = F(b) - F(a)

So in these types of integration, we are needed to use u-substitution, the problem is, using u-substitution requires you to have the equation of the graph to get an exact value, but we just have f(x).I already evaluated 01f(x)dx = 3 if that helps at all.
I don't understand your problem with a simple substitution. Why do you think you can't substitute here?

Homework Statement

Without punctuation, he line above took me a while to figure out. At first I thought this meant ##\int_0^2 f(x)dx = 2 \cdot \int_1^2 f(x)dx = -1##. IOW that the values of the two integrals were -1 and -1/2, respectively.
Zack K said:

Homework Equations

abf(x) = F(b) - F(a)

No, you don't need the equation of the function (f in this case). Just do a substitution and see what you get.