1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the average speed

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Any person on the Earth is carried in a cirular path as the Earth rotates on axis. The Earth revolves once in a day. At a latitude of Φ, the distance to the axis of rotation is R = REarthcos(Φ). If Anytown's latitude is 48.8 degrees and the Earth's radius is 6378 km, what is your average speed at Anytown's latitude due to the Earth's rotation? Express your answer in m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    R = REarthcos(Φ)
    velocity=distance/time

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried first to switch the earth's radius from kilometers into meters to get it into the right format of m/s. I tried then to put it into the equation for the distance to the axis of rotation...R=(6378000)*cos(48.8) and then divide that number by the number of seconds in a day (86400) but I don't get the right answer. I think I'm just confusing myself more than anything else. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2

jhae2.718

Gold Member

[tex]R_E\cos(\phi)[/tex] is not the total distance traveled. It is just the distance to the axis of rotation. You need to come up with an expression for the total distance traveled in a day at that latitude.

4. Sep 28, 2010 #3
    Oh I see. I guess I just don't understand how to come up with an expression with the information provided or how to use the equation given properly.

5. Sep 28, 2010 #4

jhae2.718

Gold Member

If you have a radius, and assume the Earth is circular in cross section, what is the distance around it? Think geometry.

6. Sep 29, 2010 #5
    Ok. So then I need to find the circumference to find the total distance traveled?

C=pi*r2
    C=pi*(6378)2= 127796483.1

7. Sep 29, 2010 #6

jhae2.718

Gold Member

The circumference is [tex]C=2\pi r[/tex]. What you have is area.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook