Finding the Bounds of Theta for a Double Integral

In summary, to find the bounds of theta for the given region, solve Cos[3 theta]=0 and choose any two adjacent solutions, such as {±π/6} or {π/6,π/2}. This method eliminates unnecessary solutions and gives the correct bounds of -π/6 to π/6.
jinksys
Example:
Use a double integral to find the area of the region:
One loop of the rose r = Cos[3 theta]

Finding the bounds of r is easy, 0 to Cos[3x]. However, I usually get the bounds of theta wrong. How do I find the bounds of theta without using a graphing calculator and guessing. The only method I currently know of is to solve Cos[3 theta]=0, but that gives me unnecessary solutions, like Pi/2 when the bounds really are -Pi/6 to Pi/6.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jinksys! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a theta: θ :wink:)
jinksys said:
Use a double integral to find the area of the region:
One loop of the rose r = Cos[3 theta]

The only method I currently know of is to solve Cos[3 theta]=0, but that gives me unnecessary solutions, like Pi/2 when the bounds really are -Pi/6 to Pi/6.

That method is right!

Cos3θ = 0 gives you ±π/6, ±3π/6 (=±π/2), and ±5π/6 …

so just chose any two adjacent :wink: ones,

such as {±π/6}, or {π/6,π/2} :smile:

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in multivariable calculus that allows you to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. What is theta in a double integral?

Theta is one of the variables in a double integral, representing an angle that helps define the bounds of integration.

3. How do you find the bounds of theta for a double integral?

The bounds of theta can be found by looking at the shape of the region being integrated over and determining the range of values for theta that cover the entire region. This can be done by sketching the region and identifying any symmetries or boundaries that can help determine the values of theta.

4. Can the bounds of theta be negative?

Yes, the bounds of theta can be negative, as it is just a variable representing an angle and can take on any real value.

5. What is the purpose of finding the bounds of theta in a double integral?

Finding the bounds of theta is essential in setting up and solving a double integral. The bounds help define the limits of integration and ensure that the integral is evaluated over the entire region of interest.